Did u have a birth plan?

Did your hospital honor it? Did your hospital let you get up and walk around, or squat to give birth. Did they let you refuse meds? Just curious how many actually got to choose much of what happened to them in a hospital or if they felt forced to give birth how the hospital wanted them to do it.

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I had a birth plan. My hospital supported it, and I was encouraged to walk around, to stand in the shower for ages, and to give birth without meds. However, I'm in Ontario and from what I've read the hospitals here are more supportive of natural birth options than they seem to be in the US. I still think it's worth writing one, even as a means to clarify in your mind what you hope for and to communicate that to the staff in a concrete way, even if it all doesn't go off exactly as planned.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Yes to all of the above. Even if you don't have a birth plan, they can't force you to take meds. I was really pleased with the care I got (after being convinced that hospitals were torture chambers) and I think a lot of it had to do with the fact I was there for 3 weeks before giving birth, so they all knew me and what I wanted. I did end up getting antibiotics and pitocin, but it was my choice. The only thing I didn't get that I wanted was delayed cord clamping because they were stupid about it.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 2:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Hosptials are pushy. If you have really specific requests you're gonna need a doula to help back you up to make sure the hospital staff respects your wishes. I had a birth plan, and a doula, AND I was well informed and willing to stand up for myself. They still did a lot of things that were NOT in my birth plan (in fact, some things that were specifically against it.) For example, I asked that the cord not be clamped or cut until it stopped pulsating. They clamped and cut before she was even fully born. I asked that any rescuscitation take place in my arms. They took her to the warmer anyway (and she just needed a little blow-by oxygen, nothing major). I asked for informed concent and my midwife stretched my cervix without warning and without concent during a contraction (EXCRUTIATINGLY painful), and tried to break my water without my concent.

I recommend considering an out of hospital birth if you want your plan honored.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Yes, I had a birth plan, and the hospital I delivered in was very supportive of it.

It was great, as we were walking into the delivery room to see the nurse walking with me, had my birth plan in her hands reviewing it with me..."so it says here you only want your husband in the room...etc."

I'm definitely going to to write another one for this baby.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 2:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I had one but I left it at home lol. But my midwife was very open. I told her I just wanted to be able to do my own thing and she said ok. I was able to eat and drink and walk around and all that. I even got to hold dd for almost 30 min before htey weighed her and everything. Even then they did it all right in the room with me and never took her out of my sight for more tahn 5 min.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 2:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I had a birth plan and it was honored 100% IN the hospital.
    Hospitals are NOT evil and HAVE to honor your plan. They can NOT force you to get meds. (I wanted them!)
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 2:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Ruttermama mine forced me to have pitocin and they wouldnt let me walk fromt he time i went in. they hooked me up to blood pressure machine and an iv and said i needed to stay in bed. I wanted to have a more natural birth. i progressed quickly to a 5 or 6 but then for 1 hr i made no progress so they gave me pitocin. I told them i didnt want it to please give me 1 mor ehour but they said i had to go 1 cm every hour. i couldnt stand up and move around. this was about 8yrs ago. my labor ended up fine but i didnt get to practice techniques i wanted to.
    Anonymous

• Ruttermama, hospitals actually do not have to honor your plan. They can't do anything you expressly don't concent to, which is different from honoring your birth plan. You have to directly say "I do not concent to this," and they can still push you to do something you didn't want, like keep offering pain medication, keep trying to take the baby to the nursery, give formula without your concent, perform episiotomies, clamp and cut the cord on the perenium, etc. Some hospitals are awesome and will follow mom's birth plan to a T, but most will still push interventions or make you argue about "policy".
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• My first birth plan was quickly thrown out the window and narrowed down to "DON'T DIE" which I barely got accomplished. The second one was a scheduled c-section, so there was nothing to plan.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• My birth plan was end up with a pink squiggly baby with a high APGAR score. And that's what I got. After 3 pregnancy losses I just wanted a healthy baby and didn't care how it got here. My water broke 6wks early. We told the dr on call that all we cared about was the baby's health and keeping him healthy during the birth. I didn't care about anything else or how he got here. We waited and waited for nature to kick in and start contractions but it didn't. My temp started to rise and baby's heartrate started to rise @ 12 hours. We did cervadil to try to get my long un-dialated cervix ready to party, but to no avail. Temp went higher and so did baby's heartrate which signaled infection starting @ 18 hours. We did a c/s at that point. He was breathing on his own, maintaing his temp, rode back to our room on my chest, and never left our side for a moment. No NICU no regular nursery. :)
    Anonymous