cateroil (sp)

anyone else try this? im 41 weeks pregnant and docs are planning on an induction next week. i wanted a natural childbirth. doc gave me the go a head. how much did u drink and how effective was it?? thanks ladies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think your supposed to just drink a cap full. But its going to taste really really bad and I think you might puke......
    A couple of different things you could try is having sex, going for a long walk (not by yourself though).
    I was 12 days over due and the docs was going to induce me on Feb 14th, I woke up Feb 13 and I was in labor.
    Good luck chica.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• My mother used casteroil successfully with 2 of her kids. I don't know how much.... Please post again and tell us if it worked!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 2:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• OP here: tried sex everyday now lol and also tried long walks with the hubby im 3 and a half cm and 60% effaced.. so i know shes ready my body just doesnt know how to start active labor lol. thanks for the advice ladies!
    Anonymous

• I would do anything BUT castor oil, because it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and dehydration. As miserable as it is to be a week over-due (I've been there), that sounds extra miserable to be sick like that on top of everything.
    Anonymous

• will you PM me? You are anon so I cant message you.

Normally it is 1-2 oz.'s in the same amount of OJ or other juice. http://www.birthingnaturally.net/cn/technique/castor.html You can also use it to make scrambled eggs, it goes down easier that way, and less likely to throw up than if it is just mixed with liquid. If you are already effacing and dilating that much there may be other things keeping you from going into labor. Like malpositioning, or emotional stalling. I advise my clients (I'm a doula)when they are in a situation like this, have a quiet night with your hubby, talk about your fears, and cry if you can. Also check out spinningbabies.com There are a few excersizes on there to get baby aligned just right and put a bit more pressure on your cervix, hopefully that will help, and good liuck. Remember, if you dont show up, you cant get induced. It is your decision, not the doctors, no matter what they say.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• From what my obgyn told me castor oil cause stomach contractions NOT uterine contraction. It will also cause diarrhea which is very unpleasant especially if you are 9 months pregnant not to mention you are at greater risk of becoming dehydrated.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 2:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Castor oil stimulates the smooth muscles, and the intestines are made of smooth muscle, but so is your uterus, add to that fact that the intestines are next to your uterus, it irritates it, and causes contractions. Drink lots of water if you attempt this, try to take a big sip with every contraction. Not everyone gets diarrhea with it also. It is the most common side effect of it, but not all women get it. If your Dr okay'd it, then you are a safe candidate. But do your research.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• MIL had me try that with the first...IT DID NOTHING!!
    Anonymous