How do I teach my 6 year old middle child to stand up to his bossy sisters?

I have a daughter 9, my son is 6, and another daughter 4. I think my son is very repressed by both the girls. Even the little one yells at him until he just gives in to her. I know its my responsibility to to make them all behave, but he also needs to learn to stand up to them. I want to tell him to treat them like they treat him, but I don't know that that is right really. Also he just doesn't have it in him to be as bossy as them. any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Aaah... he's a tender soul. It's good for him to be a gentleman, you don't want to train that out of him, but I see your delemma, too. Is there a man figure in his life? Someone he could spend time with doing tough manly stuff?
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 2:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• It is not him you need to change it is your bossy girls you need to straighten out. Get on them for treating him badly.

Answer by louise2 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• He is learning early on how the females work on men, so this in a way is a good learning experience for the future, if it is not in his nature to be bossy no matter what you tell him will work. Beleive it or not, having two bossy sisters will bring out the best in him.

Answer by older at 2:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• will doing tought manly stuff teach him to stand up to two overbearing little girls? He has a father, seems him everyday when he comes home from work...and before anyone says it, uuhhh, noooo, I don't treat him or his father like these two girls do him. I just don't think punishing the girls is the only answer, it might help him at home, but there will be more bossy women everywhere he goes.
    Anonymous

• awe bless his sweet little heart! he will grow up to respect women, and be sensitive to their emotions! but the obvious problem is you don't want anyone walking all over him. try a role reversal. gather your children together, and let each of them take turns imitating each other. explain this exercise before you start, so that each child knows the purpose, which is to show each other how it makes them feel to be treated in a bossy manner. (4yr old might be a little young for this, but i would try) make sure they know that no one is in trouble, so there's no need to get upset or defensive. ask them to recreate situations, each of them acting as the other did. ask "how does that make you feel?" and "did you know you made your brother/sister feel that way?" often when one child is submissive, the aggressive child doesn't realize the effects of her behavior, because in the same situation, she would react defensively.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 2:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• He will stand up to them, one day, on his own time. You dont want him to be rude back to the girls, trust me, its insane when you have all three arguing on a daily basis.
    I would focus on the positive. For everyones, good behavior and manners toward one another, give them a star. 10 Stars and they get a prize. Now this might cause jelousy, but really you can point out to the girls how they had the same exact chance. Dont compare the children, but rather give the one who did a good job the reward.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 7:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2010