How do i get rid of the binky without my little girl completely losing it?

My daughter is almost 2 years old and she still has that binky! i told myself i would never let it go this long but, she is so attached to it that if she doesnt have it, she loses it! everyone tells me just throw it away but, it's alot easier said than done! i don't know how to get rid of it without her having a meltdown that could last days. any suggestions?

jcwhatley87

Asked by jcwhatley87 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At 2, there is no real way to take it away without her "losing it" at some point. There isn't much reasoning with a 2 year old. Maybe try gradually getting rid of it, like move to just using it at night first. If not, then go cold turkey and I gurantee she will forget about it faster than you think, but it will involve a few meltdowns. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• The longer you wait, the worse it gets. There is no easy way around this. You just have to take the pacifier away and not give in. It will be a horrible 3 days, then a tough couple of days, and then it's all over. The two of you will get through this.

You can try to replace it with a lovey or stuffed animal, but my baby wouldn't take to anything.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• you need to just take it away and if she loses it she will get over it...there is no reason for a child to have a pacifier after they've lost their sucking reflex. don't make it gradual, just take it..she needs you to do that
    Anonymous

• yeah, i agree you can't reason with a 2 year old. i'm sorry, you're going to just have to deal with the drama for a few days. it will be a long few days, but just think - a month from now, it will only be a memory. come on mommy! you can do this!

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 2:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I'd throw it away when she's sleeping. If it's lost...you can't do anything. Or you can just put it in the trash infront of her and tell her to say bye bye. That's what I did with my 2 year old bottle. It pissed her off big time...but she got over it.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 2:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• My SIL has three sons who all were very attached to their binkies. here's what she did. Starting around 2, she explained that when they were 2 1/2 (or whatever time you'd like to use) they would take their binky to the toy store and use it to "buy" a new toy. She arranged it with the clerk to just accept the binky for the toy (which she then discretely paid for). Each child selected a stuffed animal to sleep with.. This seemed to work well for her but she did talk a lot about it before the actual day arrived. If you haven't already. the binky should never leave the bedroom.. (I suspect you've probably already done this.)
    Anonymous

• Why take it away? It's normal for a child to be nursing at this age. It's normal for there to be sucking needs. Most experts agree it won't hurt teeth.

You gave a pacifier to make life easier for you. It's not fair to take it away now just because you think a child shouldn't have a pacifier at a certain age.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:45 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• My son let go of his pretty easily at 6 months. My MIL said she just asked DH when he was almost 2 if he was ready to be a big boy and throw his paci away. He said yes so she pretended to take it and throw it out the car window. He never asked for it again... I've also heard of toddlers "sending" their pacis to new babies that need them. Put it in an envelope address it, stamp it, let her put it in the mailbox (sneak it back out before the mail runs of course). Praise her the whole time for doing such a good thing and helping other babies. :) Good luck momma.
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 1:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Nesa Z's idea is great and so is Anon 6:54 - you could try a combination - "send" them away and then give her a different special thing. That said, when my oldest was 2 1/2 I knew it was time...like you, I said I would never let him have it that long. Well...it is different when it really comes down to it :) So one day I cut the tips off the binkies. I gave him one and he took it out, looked at it, said "broken....'nother one", so I gave him another one - and he said the same thing until we went through all of them. I did save one or two for night time ONLY, but it turned out we didn't need them. For dd, I decided she could only have it in bed or in the car, which was fine with her. She gave it up on her own. With my youngest, he loves his binkie as much as his brother did. He is only 20 months and honestly I am not even ready and I KNOW he isn't either. But it will be gone BEFORE he is 3 - probably sooner.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Do NOT just take it... she still has a need for the sucking. You could do more harm than good by just "loosing" the binky. Start with it not leavin the house, then her bed... etc. I really like the use it to buy a new toy idea too!
    ballerina.2006

Answer by ballerina.2006 at 12:22 AM on Apr. 29, 2010