We tried to be so original...

as soon as me and my DH found out we were having a girl, we already had a name picked out. Sophie. I've always like the name, it's classical, and you don't hear it very often. But lo and behold, when little Sophie was born in November, Sophia was the number 2 name for girls...go figure. And the name I really like for a boy, Noah, is like number 4.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Don't feel bad it happened to me too. I wanted a name that when I said it in pubic I wouldn't have a bunch of people looking at me. I named my middle son Aidan. I wanted an irish name that started with an "A" and I was looking through a baby name book and found it there. The very next year Aidan was #1.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 2:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• It means you have good taste in names :)
    Kathy7_20

Answer by Kathy7_20 at 2:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• That happened with us. We picked Aidan and that was the number 1 boys name last year! And my other son Dylan was at the top of the list in 04
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• same thing happened to us ;O(
    Anonymous

• My mom's name was Sophie and she hated that name. I think she'd find it funny that it was so popular now. I like the name and if my daughter ever has children her first girl is going to be Sophie. But she decided on that name awhile ago, after my mom.
    morningglory1

Answer by morningglory1 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• had the same problem in 04 when Dominic was born. everyone told me "that's such an old fashioned name!" and no one liked it. now there are thousands of 5 year old Dominics running around. sucks : (

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 2:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I named my girls Quinn and Piper and now I'm hearing both when before I never heard them...ahhh we can try.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 3:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• same here i wanted a unique name that wasn't to common. we named our son Landon a name i had never heard of except once on a movie. Of course not i hear it alot. And I have also only heard of the name Liam twice once when i was very young and 1 time here recently but i was asking about it on here the other day and every one told me it is very popular right now.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Everyone is trying to be more different than everyone else. The result is that is is common now to have weird names. My son's hockey team is full of: Reed, Brody, Hunter, 2 Lukes, 2 Aidens, Loudan. If you name your kid Michael it will be unique.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• i have a will, a tom and a mike. i wanted simple easy to pronounce, easy to spell and strong.
    we have an olivia, and if this one is a girl, she may be sophia! so our girls will not be unique, but our boys names probably will be!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2010