To restrain or not restrain, that is the question....

So, I saw a video about special needs kids being restrained at school and did some searching.

I came across another message board where a woman posted about her out of control, violent child with many issues was being restrained at school and she was angry. He even tried to leave the school during a fit, they had to pull him back in which she said was part of the restraining him.

So my question is what other moms think about this. A child in the classroom is disruptive to the point that other children's education is suffering that then escalates into violence against teachers, staff and other children. She trained restraint holds be used and if not, what should?

heatheryn

Asked by heatheryn at 3:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think that if a child is so out of control that they could hurt themselves, hurt others, or are trying to leave the premises, YES they should be restrained in a safe manner.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I worked at a day care where there was a child that would become violent towards us or other children. We were taught to position her on our lap and hold her hugging style while telling her that we could let her go as soon as she could calm her body as well as offering others prompts to help with that process.... I have had to do this and at no time was it ever a vicious thing... it was for our safety as well as the other childrens... given that its not done in a mean or uncaring way I see no reason if its absolutely necessry to not restrain a child in that situation... its was for her best interest as she had hurt herself and others with her actions multiple times... Its all about how its done and what message is being given to the child...
    Anonymous

• i have only ever heard of Schools using it when ordered by a doctor for a special needs kid. i have seen it in practice and man i would NOT want to do it myself. i dont think that should be the teachers job - special ed teacher or not! that is something a security personel should handle. i know some kids find a lot of confort in restraint and for them that is a great tool. but i wouldnt be comfortable sending my kid to school with that order (to restrain) and as a teacher i would not want to do it myself.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Depends on the situation if he/she is trying to hurt themselves or other then yes. But if they are just being an "annoyance" like say disrupting the class or for just trying to leave school because he was scared then no.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I worked briefly in a special needs class. There was one autistic boy who had violent rages. He had two spotters at all times ready to restrain him if he became a threat. When he had a rage, everyone was evacuated from the room and they would let him pace and rant until it was over. For a mother to get angry because they kept her kid from running off is really irresponsible. Would she be ok if they let him take off? They just can't do that, no way, no how, and even a non-special-needs child would be "restrained" from running away. Restraints should be used gently and as a last resort, and YES, i believe in them.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 3:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Ok, so I'm the human ass I was kind of thinking I was. lol.

My nephew is autistic and we've had to restrain him, my sister has had to call me dad over to do it because she isn't physically strong enough (apparently).

I didn't see what the stink was about and if my kid is the one getting hurt, I'd be really pissed.

heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 4:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• It's a problem in the schools because a few kids have been seriously hurt because the restraint was so severe the kid suffocated. When they get upset,they hyperventilate and restraining them cuts off their air.our school has a time out room,they are not allowed to physically hold them.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2010