So... I am a bad parent ?

I have a wonderful soon to be 17 year old son. he is dating a sweat 16 year old girl who I and our family really like. Most of the time, they are at our house, they watch movies in the living room ( alot of times it is even kid movies with my younger kids), on Fridays she is even here for "family night" ( plays cards, watches movies, pizza) ... I dont expect them to last forever ( although I also know that they could since me and my husband started dating when I was 15...the same with my mom and dad and even my inlaws - so it does happen) ... They are both good students, their grades havent went down, they arent out late, they are still good kids who happen to be in love.

the problem is her parents - They dont want her to date until she is 18, they say if she doesnt cut out my son they will kick her out & dis-own her. I have gotten several calls from them telling me that they will get the law involved if my son doesnt quit

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• seeing her. They even said that I shouldnt have had children if I am going to let them run lose and that once my son gets her pregnant ( which they say they are not having sex yet) ..that I better be expecting to take care of the child.
    Anonymous

• Oh wow. I'd tell her parents to F off !
    Anonymous

• WOW, I think her parents are going to alienate her. I hope that she still is able to see him. The law will just laugh, these kids have not done anything wrong. How does the girl feel. I don't agree with them, they are micro managing, but as her parents and while she is living with them, they have a right to keep her from anything and anyone. Maybe she can get emancipated?

Anonymous

• I see nothing wrong with it.

HOWEVER........ you need to sit down with your son and give him TWO very serious bits of advice!

1) The second he turns 18 he has to be VERY VERY careful... NEVER be alone with her.... NEVER have sex with her.... NEVER do ANYTHING that could be thought of as negitive.  Her parents are NUTS and he is taking his reputaion and freedom into his own hands.... they sound like the type that WILL press charges for anything and everything.

2) If this IS his true love.... does he really want to deal with her nutty parents for his whole married life????

Anonymous

• The girl is very upset...she has expressed many times that her parents have always been overly controlling ( they wouldnt let her play sports, she is not aloud to have friends at her house, etc) ....She has even said the main reason she wants to go to college is just so she can get away from them.

Also her mother was in a grade higher than me ( so we went to school together) and she was one of the biggest sluts ! She openly talked about how many abortions and miscarriages she had.......so I think maybe they think they are trying to keep her from turning out like that? ( which she is FAR from it)
    Anonymous

• Well, she's still a minor, so her parents get to decide. This does not reflect on your parenting at all. However, I'd keep my son away from all that craziness.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I don't think you are a bad parent at all BUT how her parents raise her and what rules they have for her are none of your business and if they say she can't see your son there's not much you can do about it. Wouldn't you want the same respect from her parents if the situation was reversed? I also agree with pnukey, I wouldn't want my son around all that drama.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 6:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Her parents, while nutty are in the right here. Who are you to have their child at your home without their permission? She is still a minor and by the sounds of things your son is in for a ton of drama.
    Anonymous

• So I should let the kids sneak around then ..? Great.
    Anonymous

• Tread carefully.

They are her parent's. No matter how nutty, its their kid, not yours.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2010