I need SAHM advice please.

I am really struggling this is not a joke to me at all. I have 1 child he is about to turn two. I have been a SAHM since he was born. I have a hard time doing it though. There is always so much to do. I can never keep up. It seems like I am working in circles and I don’t have a game plan to clean care for my son and cook. Also I am trying to fit workout time in somehow! My DH works 60 hours a week so he cannot help much. Have any ideas? What routines work for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I do two household chores a day(besides dishes). I dont try and do everything in one day and do the same things everyday(except dishes they are daily things that dont seem to go away LOL).

I play with my kids and let them do their own thing as well. I refuse to be a stick up their butts all day long.

I run errands when necessary and make sure I take at least an hour for myself playing online or reading,etc.

The only routine I really have is nap and bed times. Those are firm in place and have been since my oldest(6)was born.

I remind myself that I dont have to do it all in one day and it doesnt have to be perfect. If I exercise I get up a half hour before my kids do and do it(I prefer walking or yoga personally).

I also remind myself to stop and breathe and clear my head so things dont get to feeling overwhelming.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• i walk everywhere and that helps
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I have heard wonderful things about fly lady ( www.flylady.com )

Make a list of what needs to be done every week.... and make a list of what your child does most day (a schedule).... and see what works best as far as merging the two lists.

It does get eaiser! Ive been a sahm for 15+ yrs.... and I have got a GREAT system down now.... but it took me a while to get it... and it changes with each life change the kids go through.
    Anonymous

• well does he have a set time for bed and waking up..and nap time? ....... I relly dont clean until my youngest ( 1 year old) goes down for a nap.... I walk pretty much everyday, but I take them in the double stroller.....I put mine int he high chair and give him a snack while I cook....

after you get the hang of it, it will be easy
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 3:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Hi SAHM I am a SAHM also. I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 4 month old. I've had a hard time balancing cleaning, cooking, and child care also. Here are a couple hints that have worked for me.

When it comes to cooking I try to prep as much as possible on the weekends when my husband is here and can take care of the kids. I try to plan a week's menu and shop so I have all I need to make it. Then I prep and cook any meats that I can: this way when I need to cook dinner at night it only takes a few minutes to thaw the cooked meat out and finish the meal. Also I make double or triple batches of  family favorites, cook it all, and freeze the extras to be thawed out at a later date.

Cleaning takes place during nap time or when I can have the older boy play at the table (play doh or coloring) and the younger in his swing. 

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 3:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• OP:

Yes my son has a set time to sleep and so on. I do clean when he is sleeps but what I have a hard time with is all the cleaning we have a pretty big house and it is always getting messed up by my little monkey DS. So I was thinking that a routine would help. I was thinking along the lines of days for cleaning or something.

Also An 12:44 please don't judge others so quickly I guess you are one of the people that your mother never taught you if you can't say something nice say nothing at all. Being a SAMH is not easy for all people. I worked 2 full time jobs before my son was born I did not have one day off (all the way up to 8.5 months) most women could not or would not do that but I would never judge them. It was easy for me.
    Anonymous

• try 4 kids...
    Anonymous

• I have been a stay at home mom for 4 years now and absolutely could not make it without a schedule. I literally schedule everything I do. From cooking breakfast, to doing laundry, to homeschooling my children. We have specific allotted times for everything.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 3:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• it is that hard. not everyone is cut out for it. my dh works lots of hours, too, and i'm a SAHM of 3. none of them are in school yet, and it gets pretty crazy at times. ask yourself "is this what i really want?" you don't have to feel bad about going to work. there are many working mothers who admit that staying at home is harder. if your heart tells you to stay at home, then you have to commit 100%. realize that if you worked outside the home, you would get a day off once in a while, and you deserve that at home, too. the hardest part about being a SAHM is that you feel under appreciated. no one says "good job!" and you don't get a raise for improving your work. you just have to want it. it is a job, and you have to take pride in it. no one can fire you, so you must be your own motivator. push yourself and reward yourself. good luck. i know it's not easy.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 3:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I pick a different room everday and completely scrub it from top to bottom on top of the daily minor cleaning.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 3:56 PM on Apr. 27, 2010