Cradle cap???

Is it really bad if your baby has this? What is the best way to get rid of it?? Thank yuou

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's basically just dandruff. my son had it bad. The method I used took many tries but it eventually went away. I applied vaseline on his head on the bad areas, washed his hair like normal and after i rinsed, I combed his hair and a lot of the cradle cap came right off!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I used baby oil and a little baby brush to brush it out, then washed their hair
    Kathy7_20

Answer by Kathy7_20 at 3:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• We fought with it for 11 months and it wasn't fun since she had 2 inches of hair at birth and never lost any of it and it is thick!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Mine was bad.. eek Gone now. I gave her a bath every day (while she had it) washed her hair and used either a tooth brush or those baby brushes that have the sponge on the other side. This lifted the cradle cap right up.  

Do not scrub hard. That can cause mild bleeding or his/her head to hurt. Use baby oil to keep head a little moist.

When it's gone you can go back to bathing every other day or however you do baths... just include a light brush to the hair to prevent future cradle cap.

Good luck it's common, nothing you did to make it happen... and doesn't need a doctor.

Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 4:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• It is totally normal and not bad at all. You can leave it alone and it will go away, you don't HAVE to do anything about it although most people try some of the methods mentioed above- baby or olive oil or vaseline on the scalp and then gently combing or brushing the scales away. I used a soft bristled baby tooth brush, very GENTLY of course. It won't all come off the first time but if you keep at it, it will get better over time. As you can see many of us have been there. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Thank you guys very much!! I appreciate all the info you gave me & it helps to know other people have been there...lol!!
    Anonymous

• baby lotion works just as well as the oil without the mess
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2010