Is parenting this stressful for anyone else?

I had so many ideas of parenting when I decided I wanted to have a kid. I was deadset on being a working mom and I even tried to prepare myself for it, and now here I am a SAHM with a one year old.. not to mention I have no clue what I'm doing ALL of the time... and I just try to go with the flow now..

But this isn't how I pictured it at all... not sure if I can handle anymore kids.. omg!

Anyone else feel that parenting wasn't what they expected?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have 4 kids. You wanna laugh? I had all 4 of them in the car with me, and the dog, had a flat tire, and no spaare (spare had been flat a week before and still not fixed, they are doing construction out side of my house) had to wait with everyone on my dad to come and help us. While we are waiting, the baby poops out of her diaper, and all over her car seat, wonderful, so I strip the baby, & take the cover off the car seat. I am sitting there with the dog tied to the axel of the car to keep her from running off cause the door is open, and a naked baby and poop EVERYWHERE when a cop comes up to me and asks what I am doing. My boys (6 and 8) start yelling that I am going to jail. When we finally get home, after the boys faught the whole time over what law I broke to make the cop show up, my oldest daughter peed in her pants & didnt tell me, just went to the bathroom to fix it on her own, and decided to (cont)
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I think all of us feel that parenting wasn't what we expected! How can it be? We all have different expectations and when things don't turn out they way we thought they would, we might get discouraged, depressed, etc. But even though being a mom is the hardest job in the world, I wouldn't trade it for anything!!!
    morningglory1

Answer by morningglory1 at 4:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• yes it will get easier once you get a routine I was a working mom for 9 years and then with my last daughter I stop working when she was 10 months old and it was hard at first and I always questioned my self and what I was doing!!! A little bit of a love you signroutine helps. I am now re entering the work force in August I am nervous about that since my last daughter will be going to kindergarten !!!! It will get easier !!!!

ramajil

Answer by ramajil at 4:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Yes. I planned from the beginning to be a SAHM, and I have 3 kids, but I daily feel like I don't know what I'm doing. Probably hourly not daily. I used to have all these ideas too. Before I had my first son I would go to a friends house once a week and help her out (she had a 2 year old, a 1 year old, and a newborn!) And I would always watch what she would do and think of how I would handle the situation. I wish I could have that old me come and tell the currently me what to do because now that I'm the mom I feel like I don't have those ideas anymore and I just don't know what to do. It's very stressful at times, especially when they're all screaming at once and the tantrums are out of control. I used to work in a daycare but now that I'm a mom I have no ideas of fun things to do with them. I think I lost half my brain when I had kids, I can't remember anything and I never know how to deal with any situation. It's aweful.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 4:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• The only perfect parent are the people that DON'T have children.. You just have go with the flow and do what needs to be done. It does get easier as your child gets older but then again it gets harder too. You worry more when they get older, going out with friends, drinking, sex, driving, did I do the right thing, oh the teenage years !!!!!
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Wow, reading these made me feel a ton better.... I used to see my nieces and nephews and think I could raise them a TON better... and then I grew up and had kids.. OMG! It's so different when you're the one that the baby is screaming at!
    I personally think I just needed a good laugh.... laughter is what makes life worth it.
    thanks gals :)
    Anonymous

• HELL YES! I waited until I was married, had finished college and had a career, etc. I was sure I could endure anything. Well, when I had my DD, she cried non-stop, 12 hours a day for about 5 mos. I wanted to go insane!!!! I was on maternity leave for 12 wks pretty much alone, since my DH went back to work. I was so exhausted and stressed out. Then, when I went back to work, I was so tired I could barely see straight. I was sure I was going to crash my car and kill someone from being too tired to drive. Everyday I came home to a screaming baby and had to be up all night only to go back to work in the morning. Well, now that she is 13 mos. things are much better. We are in a routine and she doesn't cry as much. It takes a lot of compromise and getting used to, but once the bf'ing/bottles were done, everything becamse so much easier and it just gets easier as time goes by. Nothing, I mean nothing prepares u!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• And the worst thing was that I'd call people I knew with older kids and they'd be like 'oh, my kid never did that, my kid never cried.' Now I know they were lying or just plain didn't remember what having a newborn is like. If we all remembered it , none of us would have more than 1 child. Now I have a hard time not telling pregnant women what a time they're in for. My SIL is pregnant and it is taking every fiber of my being not to tell her that she is in for the hardest year of her life!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I would suggest setting some type of routine. Things will go much smoother if you and your child know what to expect next. Of course it won't go exactly as planned but you'll have some idea. Check out the library or teacher store for books that may give you different ideas of what to do. And maybe write down ideas when you get them, I know I have tons of ideas but then when it comes time to do something I go blank!! Good luck!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• put her panties in the toilet and flush it. I am still outside cleaning out the car seat of the other one. The boys come running outside that water is coing into the living room and their sister has the door locked to the bathroom. I run in, and she isnt answering me, I thought she had fallen, or something else horible, so I had to break my door to get in there. She is sitting in the DRY bathtub, with water pouring out of the toilet and has a whole brand new package of toilet paper on the floor trying to soak it up. Well I left the door open, and the dog got out. And is running down the street chasing a guy on a bike. I then had this kids mom coming to my door to yell at me. So my boys start talking and teasing me again telling me the cop is gonna come back and arrest me this time, in fron of this lady, who now thinks my family is compleely disfunctional, lol. So I get everything cleaned up, and I hear (cont again)
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2010