tubal ligation vs vesectomy

ok, so i am only 22. my dh is 23. we already have 2 wonderful kids, with our third on the way. (2 grls, and a boy to come). we have had issues with me on birth control (either being effected negetivily or missing doses). now that we are finally getting our boy, my dh wants one of us to get "snipped." he has offered to get it done to himself because we arent sure how it would effect me this early in my life. we plan on talking to our doc at the next appointment in a week. my question is what are the pro's and con's of each? are there any questions i should ask my dr? u can give ur opinion about whether or not we should choose this form of birth control or not. if not, what other options would u suggest?

Phippsandrea

Asked by Phippsandrea at 4:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Health

• after having had a tubal when I was 22, I will strongly advise you against it. It is NOT a simple procedure, his is. You are having abdominal surgery. He is not. You are at risk for bowel & bladder perforations, as well as several other internal organs, depending on how the elect to carry out the procedure.

You should also Google 'PTLS' It is very real, and very likely to affect you. I am 25 years old, and now entering a pre-menopausal state because of my Tubal Ligation.

DEFINITELY the better option to get snipped, and easily reversed, should the two of you ever change your mind.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Ok so me and my husband are around your ages and we also have 3 kids. He has an appointment to go get snipped in a few weeks. After looking at all the pro's and con's to each we both decided it is best for him to have it done. I would definitely talk to your doctor but really, it is a 5 minute procedure for him and he will have to hold frozed peas on his balls for a couple days and he is all better. It is alot more recovery for a woman!
    Anonymous

• frozen*
    Anonymous

• Tubal is a more invasive procedure. A vasectomy is much easier and less traumatic. A woman getting snipped is a much more strenous surgery and also has more impact upon her hormone levels later in life whereas a man will not have side effects from it since sperm is pretty much made on a demand basis.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I have heard a tubal is a lot harder on a woman's body then a vasectomy is on a man's :)

Hubby had on and 24 hours was back to "normal"....if you know what I mean!
    Anonymous

• Look into Essure. Both tubal ligations and vasectomies can self reverse and you would never know. Plus with tubal ligations you have PTLS like someone said because of the blood flow being cut off and there are some studies showing that vasectomies are linked to higher rates of ED, prostate cancer, etc. So I had Essure done since it just causes scar tissue to form like it naturally would if there was something blocking your tube.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:05 AM on Apr. 28, 2010