do you really blame music and movies for the reason why kids shoot up schools or malls?

i see people blaming the type of music kids listen to or the movies kids watch to school shootings or mall shootings.
how many people really believe those are the things to blame for the violence?
i grew up on movies with clint eastwood, john wayne, freddy crugger, and jason.
watching movies like pet cemetery, the shinning, world war movies, cowboy movies because of my dad.
no i'm not talking about watching these movies when i was a teen i remember watching them when i was 6 and up with my dad.
as for music i really only listened to things like spice girls, backstreet boys, brittany spears (way before she hit rock bottom) because that was my taste in music. however when i met my hubby he's my complete opposite, heavy metal, long hair, nothing but harley davison (mostly black) clothes. neither of us wanted to shoot up a school. so why do we continue to blame it on these two things when it could be a blether of other things?

bikerchickmommy

Asked by bikerchickmommy at 4:53 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Entertainment

• OP~~
    sorry posting it again. i accidentally closed my question and i wanted to get more answers. thats why i'm re-posting it. thank you.
    bikerchickmommy

Answer by bikerchickmommy at 4:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Nope it's parenting or lack of.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• have you ever opened a magazine and seen all these beautiful girls,and said "i wish i had legs like that" or i wish i was at the beach right now just like so and so,yes it does....i mean come one there women on her talking about what team you are "team edward or team jacob" thats called movies do make an impact...people day dream,people start wishing.Music is even more...i know ill listen to country and i keep thinking i wanna ride the bull it never fails.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 5:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• if this werent true then why do they have commercials ,add in the paper,billboards..yes parenting has to do with it,thats why ist good to monitor what they watch and listen to.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 5:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• OP here~~~ thanks everyone for your comments.
    i myself don't think its music and moves it is the PARENTS. if their not keeping tabs about whats going on with their kids then yeah their going to go off and do their own thing. like i said i watched those kinds of movies. but as i got older my dad (why i only refer to my dad is because he was a single father till i was 13) but he kept tabs on me at all times. where i was, what time i was to be home. if it was a sleep over with a friend he met the parents (if he didn't already know them) and would take me over him self so he knew where they lived. took their names and phone numbers. boy did i feel like he was strict and over protective but now i look back and i realize he was doing it cause he loved me. (i know that sounds gooshy and stereotypical, but i mean it)
    bikerchickmommy

Answer by bikerchickmommy at 5:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• It is the parents. It is their job to tell their children that violence is not acceptable.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 5:28 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Of course parenting should be the primary factor in a child's upbringing, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking that cultural influences have no impact. They impact everyone, but especially kids and teens, some to a further extent than other. We ALL follow cultural "norms" and in the US, sex and violence have unfortunately become part of what's acceptable in our society, and we are suffering the consequences of that in myriad ways.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 AM on Apr. 28, 2010