I want to adopt

I'm open to an older child, but am weary of the foster program because I'm afraid to have a child taken from me. I haven't done any research, I'm pregnant with my second, and I don't have 30k lying around. Where do I start? Is there anything i can do to make it more likely to receive (cant think of a better word) a child?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Adoption

• I would look into the foster care program. You may have a chance of loosing a child placed with you, but if you let them know you are only wanting a child that is adoptable your chances of that happening are pretty slim, at least around here it is. I would wait until you have had your baby though, there is a lot of stress involved with adopting, and you don't want that kind of stress while pregnant. Plus the kids in foster care are of much greater need than a lot of other methods.
    Anonymous

• You can take several different paths, but I would absolutely start socking money away so that you will have a variety of options. Also remember that you may be eligible for the tax credit and/or adoption assistance from your employer. When we first adopted I knew that I did not have the temperament or patience to tackle the foster system, and for us predictability was a top priority. On the other hand, foster adoption is the area of greatest need so if you are up to it, it's a fantastic choice. Investigate more and develop a list of personal priorities. Adoptive Families is an outstanding source of information, look to their Adoption Guide for a complete and accurate overview of your choices.
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 6:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• International adoption of a waiting child can often be accompanied by grants, that can drastically reduce costs. You could realistically adopt internationally for as little as around $13,000. Then, after the adoption tax credit, you would end up having only spent $3,000. Where there is a will there is a way!!! Go for it!!! rainbowkids.com is a photolisting of available children internationally that wait for homes due to factors like age, or special needs ranging from very mild to severe.
    Anonymous

• adoptuskids.org   All the children on this site are available for adoption through social services.  Parental rights have already been terminated.  You do not have to foster first in order to adopt through social services. 

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:32 AM on May. 6, 2010

• You can become an adoptive parent. Which means you will get a child who is only up for adoption. They are still foster children but they are looking for a forever home for the child. We are adopting an older child. She is 12 years old and is a foster child in our state. We are not her foster parents, her foster parent does not wish to adopt her. She will be placed with us as an adoptiove placement. She will still be a foster child through our state, until the adoption if final.

Since you are wishing to adopt an older child the chance of you adopting one is much greater. Please send me a PM if you wish I also have a journal on my page. I wish you the best http://www.childrenawaitingparents.org/ & www.adoptuskids.org those are just a few of the children waiting to be adopted.
    4thLuvofChildrn

Answer by 4thLuvofChildrn at 3:11 PM on May. 10, 2010

• oh and it doesn't cost anything for us to adopt through the state.. If it cost anything in your state it won't be much at all..
    4thLuvofChildrn

Answer by 4thLuvofChildrn at 3:14 PM on May. 10, 2010