Don't Epidurals Hurt????

I have 2 sons, both were over 2lbs, had to push for 2 hrs with each...but I went all natural. The labors weren't long (about 9 1/2 from water breaking to birth) and the pain wasn't life threatening. It hurt, yeah, but I knew that it would end as soon as the baby was born. I always wonder why someone would rather have a needle shoved into their spine?? I'm terrified of needles so maybe it's just my anxiety, but I'd rather just have the baby than have a needle anywhere near my spine. Plus all of the possible side effects?? I don't get it... I don't judge anyone that does get an epi, to each her own, I just don't understand it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well my first little one I was in SO much pain, that I couldn't bare it. I was 19. I would've done anything to get rid of that pain.

With my second and final.... I knew the pain of the past and just avoided it. If I ever did have a third.. I think it'd be interesting to try natural.
    Anonymous

• Yeah right you don't judge... you "just don't understand it"

LMAO
    Anonymous

• I don't go there either..I'm chicken. I've got 4 kids never even had an IV..needles freak me out
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 5:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Anon 5:27 sounds like you're the one being judgmental.

To OP: I've never had one but I'm curious if they hurt or not too...
    Anonymous

• I had 2 epidurals the one with my first they had to lower cause I wasn't pushing hard enough and my second they done the epidural wrong I was leaking spinal fluid (they let a student do it I didn't know was a student) I had to have a blood patch done the day after coming home I had to go to the ER to have another blood patch I was in so much pain to this day almost 2.5 years later I have everyday headaches and back pain so ya I have another baby I am not doing the epidural again
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• oh ya but they do not hurt going into the spine all i think or thought about was the contractions
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I found this video when I was looking up how to have a boy..(another ?)

http://video.about.com/pregnancy/During-an-Epidural.htm

I do know that they leave a forever scar on the person that gets one.

You can see it on cadavers..Quite interesting
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• the epidural didnt hurt me at all. i liked it actually. & the side effects are rare.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I have had an epidural for a c-section. It was just a matter of a little pinch, some coldness (from the fluid moving into your body) and then it was over. When it takes effect, it's pretty weird....you can see people touch and move your body, but not feel a thing. No worries....
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 6:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• yeah i had epidurals with both of mine.. it pinched and did hurt slightly when it was first injected.. and with my first they "missed" and drew blood so they had to go in again.. the second kid it went a lot quicker and easier... it gives you the chills.. but for me personally.. it was worth it. i was in a lot of pain and it made labor so much better for me and my kids were both born healthy and happy.
    juandmad09

Answer by juandmad09 at 6:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2010