Am I being selfish?

Here's the story. I've needed dental work done, specifically a bridge for a tooth that was pulled as a teenager, for years and years now. My husband has always told me that we didn't have the money to get it done now and to just wait a little longer. The dentist has told me many times that my teeth are starting to rotate and move to make up for the space. We have insurance but it will still end up costing about $1500.
So yesterday, my husband goes out for lunch with his friends at work and chips a little corner piece of a front tooth off. honestly it's barely noticeable. Now he's all dramatic about it, saying he needs to get it fixed immediately or it could chip more...blah blah blah. ( I have a chipped tooth also with a hairline crack and have never been able to get it fixed)
I know this probably seems like a petty complaint, but am I way offbase for thinking this is unfair? Sorry, just venting. Uggghhhhh.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• You're not being selfish. But remember that correcting his chip won't cost as much as your dental work. It DOES need to get done before it adds up to more.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• No you are not being unreasonable or selfish! Itsas if youre needs are not as important as yours.. I would tell him you are going to take so much a month or out of every paycheck to save for your dental issues.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 5:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• You're not selfish, he is. It takes a lot of nerve on his part to even compare his chip to your actual problems. Yes, his will get worse if too much time passes but your situation is serious. If he wants to get his minor chip fixed I'd say fine but guess what? I'm making an appointment for me too.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I'd just start putting money back so that you can get your teeth fixed. If he wants to be a jerk and go get his tooth fixed then he can be a jerk, but you should start putting money back so it's not like all 1500 coming out of pocket at once
    Anonymous

• I myself would rip his tooth out of his head while he is sleeping, Make it worth hearing him bitch and moan about it.
    Anonymous

• I think he needs to get the tooth fixed asap but I think you do too. Find a dentist that does payment plans, monthly payments or has a credit card company they use and get the work done for both of you and pay it off.
    Anonymous

LMFAO!!!

Have you two applied for Care Credit? If not, do it. The payments are super cheap!
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 6:56 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• You need to do it before the other teeth move too much. It could end up costing thousands, instead of $1500. And the dentist WILL accept a payment plan.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 7:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I don't think you are being selfish at all. I'd be super pissed also! Both issues need to be fixed, but the point is he is willing to go out and spend whatever it will cost to get it done RIGHT NOW and isn't even saving up for you to get your more important work done.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 7:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• i agree that u r not being selfish at all--your husband is!! u have needed this work done for a long time and the price of what is happening while u wait is only costing the repair and the copay to go up. i would do as another poster suggested and save a little each month out of the grocery money or from whatever area of the budget u can so u have a little er fund of your own. i would guess this isnt the only area where he is selfish. u need to take care of your self in this area if he continues to act this way. i would b furious if my dh behaved in this way. i hope u can work it out and the sooner the better. there r many dentists who do hv payment plans especially if u hv insurance that is paying part of the bill up front. gl
    Anonymous