Why do some Christians suffer the delusion that religious salvation gives a free card to practice arrogance, bigotry, racism, and hypocrisy ?

I have noticed that a select group of christians seem to believe they are exempt from reprisal, act like complete asses, and am curious how others see this phenomenon. Is this the "new path" to heaven?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Curious, you the same anon who posted the previous?

Anywho, agreed... I find it entertaining how I am judgmental, narrow minded, and rude for stating that any adult who has imaginary friends is insane, but it's okay to pass judgment on everyone else, as long as you are held to a "Higher Standard"... Even typing that last part makes me chuckle.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I know what you mean. Today a co-work was talking to a customer she knew. about the loss of her husband and after the customer left my co-work says " that's to bad I feel so sorry for her at least he was a Christian, so he'll be ok. " okay I'm not a Christian. I'm Pagan, so maybe I'm missing something. but what happened to that thou shall not judge thing? AT LEAST HE WAS A CHRISTIAN? so what? if he was Jewish or something else he wouldn't be ok. what about all those devoted Christian Priest that have their way (for years & years) with the kids? Well at least he was a Christian Man he'll be ok. give me a break. I'm glad I'm a Pagan.
    Anonymous

• I often have wondered about this myself, this post should be interesting!

Answer by older at 5:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• NO, it does not give them an excuse....but rather it's called the pride cycle....they forget who exactly is giving them blessings and then turn away from God and what his teachings are....they start to rely on thier own knowledge...and we know from past expirience that the people are then humbled.....it's just a matter of time :)
    Anonymous

• hahaha, yes, I agree. Totally hypocritical.
    Anonymous

• if you were born on an island and your parents died when you were young, and there was no one to teach you the bible, so you have no knowlege of God Or Jesus would you still go to heaven? after all you don't have God in your heart.
    Anonymous

• You say you noticed a "select group of Christians" but also use the very broad term Christians, in your question. Are you saying other religious don't have "select groups" of who show arrogance, bigotry, racism, and hypocrisy. You can find people like that who are Atheists, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, etc.......... 

Yes there are a select group of Christians who can be  arrogant, bigoted, racist, and hypocrites.  I avoid them the same way I avoid other people with different beliefs but who have the same close minded attitudes.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• hmmm, well here's my opinion. Christains have a huge responsibility, but at the same time they are not perfect, just like everyone else in the world is not as well. Should we all give eachother a little grace, rather than being judgemental and prideful?
    Anonymous

• Interesting question for sure.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 6:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I believe if you live with the best intentions and it's something you can turn to in the time of need, and it makes you happy. so be it. believe what your heart desires, an all is well

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 6:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2010