If 9 out of 10 people jump off of a bridge, then what are you waiting for?

-I've come across this type of question often on the internet, that, "if there is no god, then why do so many people believe in christianity/islam/(any sort of religion with at least one deity)?" The assumption in that question, of course, is that the majority must be right. Well, how about it then, if all it takes is for a majority of people to believe something in order for it to be correct or true, does that mean that if 9 out of 10 people jump off of a bridge that you would too? (to be clear, I'm not saying that there are no gods, I'm just saying that what the majority believes has nothing to do with what is actually correct or accurate...)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Can't wait for us to evolve out of religion... sad I won't be around to see it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:53 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• your right, but the difference is, is that there is a God...and people join religions because they can feel the connection that was there in the prexistence....We are sons and daughters of a Heavenly Father....it's natural we would feel a connection to something than just being a human being.
    Anonymous

• well put.
    northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 5:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• The road less traveled.....
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Oh well Obbydobbie.. RELIGION will die for sure.. but a relationship with the Father God never will.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• The answer is in the personal relationship, just as Shane said. If it were about religion it would be empty and time consuming with no meaning.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 6:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• To be honest, no one knows exactly who is right. We all believe what we THINK and FEEL is right. Doesn't mean that any person is more right then another, it just means we all think and feel differently.
    And, for your illustration, all it would take is 6 out of 10, since 6 woud represent the "majority" of believers. lol
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• The assumption is not that the majority is right, it's that the majority is influenced to think alike.
    It's all psychological, in my opinion.
    Allow

Answer by Allow at 7:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Well I am that one out of ten. I think for myself, yes I am Christian but only by definition. I do not believe the same as most. I am not a sheep following to the slaughter. I am a free thinker and will defend my beliefs and self to the end. I do not presume I am above all, I do not presume I have a a reserved spot nor do I care for one. I live the way I am happy believe what makes sense. I don't believe bigotry or arrogance was what god wanted nor do I care to use it. If I get left behind during any rapture that may happen I will survive it and will never follow the devil. I already have plans for that and it does not cost me money. I have friends who believe they will be left if it ever happens and we will join up. If my kids are gone I will fight to my last breathe to destroy any devil that may arise. Again because I am not a sheep.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• RELIGION will die for sure.. but a relationship with the Father God never will.

I don't think very many will take you seriously when you claim your headaches are from demon possession. I'm sorry I know I wont.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2010