Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

will I get into trouble..i mean how would they know? HELP!!!!

Hi! I own a celica and so does my father...same model/year. My celicas engine blew out and my fathers still works (its at my house, im watching it for him) BUT his tags are expired. My questionis if I put my tags on his celica would i get in trouble? Since there the same care and year would it make a diffrence if by some chance i get pulled over and they run the plates? I really need to take my daughter to her appts. shes missed 2 and shes 5months, plus im in school on the GI bill, so if i drop out i will have to pay it all back.....HELPP

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Travel

Answers (10)
  • are the cars the same color?
    If they checked the vin number then you could get in trouble

    Answer by hisblueeyes at 6:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

  • they would know the vins would be different if you were to get pulled over. My insurance cards have that info on them

    Answer by bizima4 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

  • they have different plates & vin #.. I wouldn't do it.. maybe you can use your dads car, but not put your tags over it.. or fix your engine..

    Answer by maiahlynn at 6:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

  • I think the only way they would figure it out would be to look at the vin # and that seems pretty unlikely.

    Answer by Kimposible at 6:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

  • In my town the police do not always check the vins when you get pulled over. Only when they tow your car.

    Answer by hisblueeyes at 6:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

  • Don't risk the possible trouble... I think it could pausibly be fraudulent? Not sure... but I wouldn't risk anything that could come with a jail/warrant attached to it. Especially that I'm a parent.

    I completely understand your dilema, truly sorry for the situation.

    Play it safe. Ask your dad for permission to drive his car. If the tags are old or expired you can go to the DMV and pay a small amount for temporary tags.


    Answer by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

  • I would take that chance only bc they are the same exact vehicle so just drive normal and don't be speeding you have things to do so take care of it then make sure you put everything back the way it was sooner or later you will get caught. GL

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

  • TAGS or PLATES? Big difference. If you're changing only the tags, they would run the plates and those would come up as not renewed. And they could tow the car right where they stop you.

    If you're doing this with the entire have a lower chance of being caught. BUT if you are, you could be in BIGGER trouble.

    Can you get dad's car registered? That would be your best bet.

    Answer by gdiamante at 6:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

  • Renew his tags and drive his car. Nobody ever expects to get into an accident. You might be facing a felony charge.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

  • Dh is a cop, said you would get a ticket. The tags correspond to that cars registration. If a cop were to run your plate number, it would come back expired, then they would question why there were current tags on it. Hope this helps somehow.

    Answer by JackieGirl007 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.