Do you find it hard...

...to be friends with another mother that has a drastically different parenting style as you?

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 6:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• Sometimes I just do what I have to do and she does what she has todo...I guess
    Anonymous

• yes i do
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• yeah, sometimes, I think its because I'm so passionate about what I believe though.
    Anonymous

• yes, sometimes.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I'm glad I'm not the only one - I feel weird right now, because next month my SO, daughter, and I are going to visit a friend out of state for a week. We were just texting & talking about our girls (her baby is about 3 months younger than mine) and she asked if I have "tried the whole let her cry herself to sleep thing yet." I am very against CIO & I am now worried that she is or will be doing this with her daughter (even if I was for CIO, you're not supposed to do it until 6-9 months & her daughter is almost 3 months) while we're there. I am an extremely empathetic person - I get teary eyed hearing other people's babies cry at the doctor's office getting shots. I responded to her with, "No, I would never do that personally" & want to ask her if she is, but I don't want to come off as a pushy jerk. I don't know, I just feel weird about staying there now, if she is doing that...
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 6:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Yes, I have a friend who is more liberal in her punishments then we are. My Husband actually caught her kids acting out she just laughed it off and ignored it. I have a hard time being around her because of her laid back parenting.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 6:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• when my kids were little and we had to do things with the kids -yes.

now that the kids are in school I can be friends with the mom out side of the kids being there.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I find it extremely hard! I don't like to be in a position to be around my BIL's kids for any length of time because him and his wife DO NOT make their kids mind. Their kids are out of control! I thought I was going to hide in my room one night when he brought his three kids over here. He sat on our computer for an hour and did not once look up to see what his kids were doing. While they were here, they hit one of my kids, punched a wall, and broke a toy. It's ridiculous to have to parent some one else's kids because they ignore them.
    Anonymous

• absolutely!!!
    emily1234

Answer by emily1234 at 7:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• we are two totally different people in everything we do. she is more calm and easy going whereas i am very highstrung and have high expectation of my children.
    AngelRobBreGabe

Answer by AngelRobBreGabe at 8:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2010