So how f--ed up is this? In your opinion?

My sister with 3 kids was found smoking meth in her home. She has been a drug addict for a while, her second was born addicted. Anyway, one of her kids has a different dad. We told him and he took her to court. I wrote a letter supporting the dad, because I am tired of this drug shit and am afraid for her kids. He won full custody temporarily. Now she hates me. Am I wrong? We found her an inpatient rehab. but she refuses to go and you can't make them go. In her opinion, she did nothing wrong. I don't think she'll ever realize she's done anything wrong.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• I don't think you are ever wrong to protect an innocent child, even if it has to be from his own mother. There is an old saying that I like very much. It is that mercy is not giving a person what he wants, but it is giving him what he needs. You showed mercy to your sister and to her child. She probably doesn't want to get off her drugs, but she certainly needs to. Were she my sister, I would do everything I could to make that happen, and if she got mad at me and never spoke to me again but got off the drugs, I would consider myself to have been highly successful. So try not to feel bad about what you did and if you have the opportunity, do some more!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:56 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• You were NOT wrong. But an addict will never see it that way as long as she's addicted. Does he have all three kids?

Answer by gdiamante at 6:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I keep thinking maybe I am being self-righteous. But meth and kids just don't mix. The other two are from her current marriage and they will not ever be taken b/c the dad wants to stay with her and live with her. He doesn't want her in rehab either.
    Anonymous

• You can't expect the approval of someone who is an addict. They aren't in a good place mentally- she's putting drugs before her own babies. Who cares if she's mad. Let her get mad and tell her to use it to do something about it. Watch a few episodes of Intervention- you'll feel better about your choice and I suggest taking a page from their book. You can only help people so much unless they want to change.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 6:56 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• What happened to the other 2 kids? Did he take all the kids or just his one child?

Answer by louise2 at 6:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• sounds like he's on it too! IMO!
    Anonymous

• The other 2 are still w/ her and her DH. He wants to keep them. She is in an outpatient program but they don't drug test and I think she has already missed some sessions.
    Anonymous

• You did it for the kids. You gave them a voice. You did the right thing. Hope things work our. GL & GB
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 6:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Good job! Nothing wrong with not being an enabler! Hopefully she gets her crap together or she can kiss her kids goodbye. If she loses custody of one kid, chances are slim that her and her husband will not have CPS called on them for the other kids.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 6:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• You did the right thing, someday when she is sober she will thank you!

Answer by older at 7:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2010