What do u give to a sick dog?

She's dehydrated. And she's not eating. Doesnt want to move much. Just kinda whimpers when i pick her up. We dont have money to take her to a vet. Is there some kind of food that a sick dog would be likely to eat? She was ok yesterday. She's a pomeranian/yorkie mix if it matters.

jehosoba84

Asked by jehosoba84 at 6:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Pets

• Give her children's pedialyte instead of water, or feed it to her. Don't try forcing food down though but you need to hydrate her or she will die.

Answer by older at 6:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Caned dog food. Or some human food. Anything to get her to eat. Maybe baby food.

Answer by louise2 at 7:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Water is most important...you can even syinge some slowly into her mouth. Some small bites of protein (even a scrambled egg) would be the best thing to try. If you heat up her food a bit it will smell stronger (better) to her and she is more likely to eat. I would try to at least get her to take some water every 2 hours or so until she's better. Good luck...and maybe you can find a vet who would take payments...I hope she gets better xo
    Anonymous

• Unfortunetly, It sounds like she needs fluids and treatment from a vet. Call your vet and others in your area and see if they would be willing to work out a payment plan with you.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• If you let her dehydrate any more she will die ~ that's the plain truth. Get a syringe and make sure you get at least a tablespoon into her every hour. If she is in enough pain that she doesn't want to move, something is wrong. A painful foot will cause a dog not to eat or drink if it hurts enough, but so will blockages and other gastro problems.

You can try adding some boullon and some karo to the water, or use pedialyte (although most dogs don't like it). Add about a tablespoon of karo and mix the bouollon at half strength (two cups water per cube) and keep it refrigerated. If she shows any interest in food, give her some cooked rice (use broth instead of water to cook it), or some plain yogurt. But, it really sounds like she needs a vet. If she is still whimpering tomorrow find a way, it's not right to let her suffer.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:55 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Take her to the vet and ask him if he has a payment plan. Its cruel and inhumane to let her suffer. Dying due to starvation and thirst is a terrible way to die.

If he doesn't have a payment plan available call around or surrender her to the vet so that she gets the care she needs.

Acid

Answer by Acid at 12:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• You could check into carecredit to help pay the vet. I agree, it is wrong to make her suffer. You have to find a way or find her another home with someone who can afford the vet.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 1:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• If your dog went from ok, to not moving, wimpering, and not eating or drinking in 24 hrs. then I would say something could very well be SERIOUSLY wrong. You need to get her to a vet. It is very difficult to rehydrate a dog without IV fluids especially if they're not willing to drink on their own.
    Dawn4175

Answer by Dawn4175 at 9:50 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• boil chicken and rice.. every time my dogs get sick that is what the doc tells me to get them.. i also might put a LITTLE water in the bottom of the bowl so they can get a little extra water.... When they won't drink I sit right down on the floor with them and dip my hands in the water bowl, a lot of the times they will lick the water off my fingers... I also put the water on their lips to and they will lick that off.. do that as much as possible... After she starts to feeling better and eating the chicken and rice really good start mixing her dog food in with it a little at a time!! gl and if she doesn't start drinking by this afternoon then i would call the vet and see what they have to say...
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 9:57 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• PLEASE get this dog to a vet!!! Most vets will work out a payment plan that you can afford. She could have a blockage in her digestive system that could quickly kill her. Get on the phone now and find some help for her. This is not a situation that you can manage on your own. If you can't find a vet on your own, call a no-kill shelter and ask them if they can recommend someone. There are people that will help you if you reach out to them.
    DogLover58

Answer by DogLover58 at 11:56 AM on Apr. 29, 2010