IUD???

I am going for my 6 week follow up next week since having my baby and I want an IUD, but my last one they said I had to be on my period when I got it placed. Since I just had my baby do think they will place it or make me wait. It is a different OB doctor and I called to ask but ofcourse I still haven't gotten a call in return. Has anyone had one placed??

aheuszel

Asked by aheuszel at 7:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Health

• I've been wondering this also.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 7:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I've tried looking online but it doesn't even say you have to put it in when your on your period.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 7:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• No, you do not have to be on your period if you had a vaginal birth. The reason for being on your period during insertion, is because your cervix opens up a little & makes it much easier to place it in your uterus. BUT, after vaginal child birth, your cervix stretches out a little & is not so tightly closed together anymore. So, you should be able to get it in without having to be on your period, as long as you are all healed down there. They still say though, that if you are on your period, that it's easier for them to put it in. I know, because my period came early when i got mine in & i was totally embarrased to get it in during my period. But, they told me that it is actually easier to insert when on your period, but not necessary.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• no..you don't have to be on your period to have an iud inserted...it makes it easier since you have an opening in your cervix when your on your period, but it's not a must to have aunt flo for a visit for the iud.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 7:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I got my put in and I wasn't on my period and I had a c-section.
    Anonymous