Her shoes are too big

I've had a hard time finding a style of shoe I like for dd (read: something neutral)with a brand I also like. I finally found a pair of See Kai Run in Rebekah but they only had a size 8 left. DD is probably a size 7 but I went ahead and ordered them. Well, turns out there's a pretty big difference between a 7 and 8 so there's a good inch of extra space. Money's tight and I'd like to make them work if possible...would it be ok to put some kind of padding in the toe or would that too problematic? I can't be the only mom who tries to buy a little bigger and finds a way to make do without compromising their kids's comfort. Any suggestions? She has some sandals in a 7, I just want her to wear closed toed shoes sometimes.

mrs_pulley

Asked by mrs_pulley at 7:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• There might not be an arch, but she will create a wear pattern where her feet hit the shoe now, and then the shoe won't fit her right once she actually grows into the shoe. Blisters are also a concern, as well as tripping over the extra length in the toe. She will not run or jump correctly b/c she will be compensating for the extra length in the shoe, so it will change her gait and could even cause knee, hip or low back issues as well. She really needs to be in shoes that FIT her!!

"Fitting your child now with the proper size and style of shoe will help prevent possible foot problems in years to come.... Don't let your child be like many adults that say, “ I wish I had worn shoes that fit when I was a child.” “My feet would not be in such bad shape now.” http://www.podiatrynetwork.com/document.cfm?id=66

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 7:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• The arch would be in the wrong place on a shoe that much larger than she needs. Inserts might help but she'd still trip over the extra toe space. I would risk her falling and breaking an arm. I'd put them up and go to a children's consignment shop. They may have what you want cheaper than retail
    Anonymous

• oh I should add that these are baby size 7, there isn't much in the way or an arch I don't think. they're nice shoes but totally flat.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 7:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I would look second hand for a pair to get her by until she fits the shoe. Who cares if it's not a brand or color you love... I think it's far more important that the child's shoe fit her. It's not just that the toe shouldn't be in a certain place... try to picture how your balance is when you have a clown shoe on...
    Anonymous

• That's a huge difference. 7 to 7 1/2 maybe not, but this is a whole size. Her shoes should fit, even if you don't like the way they look.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I'm not saying I'm not getting her a shoe that fits because I don't like the color! geez! thanks ladies! I only ordered it because I thought the difference would be slight- had I known, I would have made a different choice! I just was curious if there was a way to make them work. The wear pattern comment makes a lot of sense- I just hadn't thought of it. If you'll notice, I already have a pair of size 7 shoes that fit her so she has shoes and I'm not putting my personal taste before her well being. I actually care very much about a good fit and some of you had smart points that I simply hadn't thought about. wow, way to make me feel like crap just for asking a question.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 10:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Don't feel like crap Mom, feel that way if you don't ask! Never hurts to ask, right!! As Sports Med. professional that works with kids I do tend to get a bit defensive on their behalf - Didn't mean to sound curt to you, sometimes it's hard to put your tone of voice into typed text. Sorry if I came across sounding like I thought you didn't care. ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Payless has a "Smart fit" brand that has good arch support and extra toe room for walking if you'd like to look for something to get her through until she grows into the 8's. They run $20-$25 per pair regularly, but usually you can always find a sale or some on clearnace and score an even better deal. I would definitely hold off on putting her into the size 8 shoes though.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 12:12 AM on Apr. 28, 2010