my step son whos 9 and my 4 year old???

Why is it that my step son who is 9 ALWAYS taddles on my 4 year old who is his half brother but my son aqcts like he's afraid to!! By taddling I mean when he comes in and cries "Travis hit me" but my son, I have to go to him when he's crying and ask him why he's got a big red mark on him. I dont want either one of them to be weenies or taddlers but how do I get them to understand that??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• First, you need to get them to quit hitting each other. A 9 year old hits much harder than a 4 year old. That has to stop immediately. Nobody hits anybody. That way there is nobody to tell on. Tattling is an attention getter that takes the heat off your step son. He wants to make sure that you know that your son hit him so that when you see the red mark on your son, you wont be as mad at your step. Second, your step son is old enough to know that he should not be hitting a little kid. You have to make it clear that they will BOTH be punished if anyone hits anyone.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Sorry, I believe in tattling. I think kids should tell so the parents can decide what is important and what is not. Once you make them stop telling an adult something then something bad might happen and they won't tell. My mom said to tattle. I told my children to tattle and now we encourage my grandkids to do so. Kids don't know the difference between tattling over a brother hitting him and a bully at school or a stranger touching them inappropriately.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Hey, my stepsons name is Travis,lol.
    Anyway...for us its a bit different. SS and my son are 4 years apart in age and I TELL them to tell me when one hits the other because when they don't it gets out of control and turns into an all out battle between the two of them. Its horrible. I wish I had the opportunity to work with them at that young age.They are 14 and 10 now and they HATE eachother to no end. Theyve been around eachother since ages 7 and 11. No picnic. Good Luck.
    Anonymous