What's a good bedtime for an 8 and 9 y/o?

We have had a set bedtime of 8:00 but it seems like by the time the girls get home from school (around 3) and get homework done, supper, baths they don't have much time for down time. I was thinking of moving bed time back an hour to 9:00. What time do your school aged kids go to bed? And what time is a good time during the summer? I don't really enforce a bedtime in the summer months but I don't let them say up all hours either.

luvmygrlz

Asked by luvmygrlz at 7:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Mt kids are in bed by 8 ... i was running into your same problem DD leaves at 8am and comes home at 330pm!! but what I noticed is it made it worse... she was too tierd the nex tday that hour makes a huge difference! so she's in bed at 8pm-- I use a crock pot a lot to have meals ready to eat at 530p-- so she gets home plays outside from 4p-530pm then does homework at 6p and 7pm starts bath book and bed-- if there is time (like tonight) I will let her watch TV until8-- she is allowed to play her DS in bed until 845pm she usually fades by 820--

oh and one last note I do not allow more then 1 hour of homework in my house-- that is what her teacher is paid for--
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 7:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• 9 is good. Give it a trial for a week and see how it goes. Can they wake up easily? Are they paying attention in school? Things like that.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 7:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• My dd is 9, goes to bed no later than 8. Last year it was 7:30. She does her homework on the bus, and reads in her room before bed... She spends about 2-3 hours playing outside every day. Down time? That is what the weekends are for.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Yes I agree with 9:00 pm.....gives them plenty of time to relax in the evenings and plenty of time for sleep.  Summertime, a bit later...so they dont get out of the routine when school time comes around.

Kathy7_20

Answer by Kathy7_20 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• My kids when they went to public school were in bed 7:30-8:00 pm because they needed to be up by 6:00 am for the school bus etc. There are sleep studies that show that kids ages 6 to 9 need about 10 hours of sleep a night. Seeing my kids needed to be up at 6:00 am we put them to bed at by 8:00 pm giving them the 10 hours they should have. Some nights they fell asleep as soon as they their hit the pillows, other nights it may have taken them up to 20 min; but that was okay they were in bed and getting rest. Now that we homeschool they go to bed at 9:00 pm and wake up 6:00 to 7:30 am. My daughter tends to sleep longer then my son.

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I just wanted to add my son naturally has always needed less sleep then the recommend for his age. That's why even with a 9:00 pm bed time he's up anywhere from 6:00-6:30. Some mornings it's almost 7, but mostly it's 6:00-6:30. My daughter on the other hand ways needed little bit more. (They are both 8, but my son will be 9 in a few months). They are 10 months apart and I'm not about to give them different bedtimes; so we settle on something more in the middle. My son really only needs 9-10 hours where my daughter really needs more like 10-11 hours. So yes I had to wake my daughter up most mornings, but it was okay because I knew she got at least the 10 hours. Even today my son is more like 9 hours and my daughter more like 11; That part of reason we moved bedtime to 9. With us homeschooling I don't need him up before 6 am.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• My 8 and 10 year olds go to bed at 8:30 and it's worked out pretty well.

Answer by missanc at 9:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2010