How do I Help my 5 year old understand that being mean to animals is bad

she is a very loving child but if she gets mad or frustrated with any animal she hits kicks or throws things at them she is very aggressive and I don't know how to help her get pass this

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i think she is old enough to understand the concept of fairness. Maybe you should take that route by telling her that it is not fair for her to hit an animal when the animal cannot say that it hurts or tell someone when they have been injured. Maybe talk to her about a time when someone was unfair to her and how much that hurt her. Sit down with her and guide her hand to show her how to properly touch an animal, with soft, loving strokes. When she is frustrated, make her get up and walk away from the animal.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Thank you for your reply. And I have had that talk with her before. And now she has went to her friends house and pushed there dog in to a bench causeing it to get hurt. And they no longer want her to come over. She starts school in Aug. and I really don't know what to do. I didn't have this problem with my other child I really don't think it is normal. I am so confused and I really need help with this. Thanks all for listening to my rants
    Anonymous

• well, if it were me and i had already had that talk with my child and i saw him hitting an animal again after having the talk i would probably snatch his little arm and be a little more firm just to make sure i really got through to them. I would say " i told you once not to hit them cuz they can't hit you, if i see you doing it EVER again i will find a loving home for them." as for her being aggressive towards animals at her friends house i would tell her she will no longer be aloud to go over to play.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Outside having that talk, I would consider counseling for the child. Maybe anger mangement ... and not to be rude, but after that talk and it happened again, my child would feel a spank on his bottom. And that spank would be the hurt that he did to the animal...
    I would really try to get that aggressive manner taken care of before school, the school will not allow it.

Good Luck
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2010