How "normal" is this and what can it stem from?...7 year old getting jealous in school....

My dear son..my little lawyer, brainiac child. Very smart, loves school, loves to learn, etc. But he gets upset if the teacher doesn't call on him to answer a question, or if the teacher compliments another student, or if he doesn't get a turn, etc. How normal is this behavior? I don't think normal at all but I could be wrong. Of course he gets plenty of praise, attention, etc. at home. We're a very loving family...he's into sports, etc. outside of school and doesn't display this behavior.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• He obviously has a need to be recognized by this teacher, either because he is trying to prove himself to the teacher or because he is so used to being praised at home. If you praise every little thing he does, he will expect it from everyone else in his life. If the teacher is a female, he may have a little crush on her. Talk to him and let him know that it is the teacher's job to share her attention with the whole class, not just him.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• He wants all the praise for himself, he is competitive (most men are) it might stem from all the praise he gets at home for being so smart, he wants to please, he wants the chance for others to see how smart he is. I think it is normal, for now and he will outgrow it.

Answer by older at 8:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• He sounds very self-centered.
    Anonymous

• Normal! We called this " look at me look at me syndrome" it too shall pass. Remind him that there are others in the world with him and they need to feel important too.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:48 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• It's not normal if it gets him all upset. His teacher can't call on him all the time. He needs to learn how to share.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:16 PM on Apr. 28, 2010