my 3 week old has a bloody diaper rash =( please help!!!!

my son has had a bad rash for going on a week now & he's so chafed that it's bleeding. i know he's feeling really uncomfortable & i don't know how to help him. i've been using method baby's squeeky green diaper cream (10% zinc oxide) but it doesn't seem to be helping in the least. it's the only rash cream i have in my house. what can i do to help him feel better & make his rash go away. will vaseline work better than the rash cream or should i just stick with that? his appointment isn't until friday and that's such a long time for him to be uncomfortable.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wipe him with a clean, damp cloth and not diaper wipes. Give him plenty of air time (just lay him on a towel in case of messes). Try Huggies most plain diaper if you're using disposables. When you feel you can't do air time anymore, put on a layer of Balmex -- it's lots of zinc oxide and my pedi recommended it and we saw immediate results -- but don't overdo it. Air does best. If these things clear it up, he's probably not reacting well to the wipes you're using or the diapers. The only wipes we've been able to use are the Costco brand, Kirkland (luckily they're a great deal, too) perfume/dye free. They're great wipes, If those things don't clear it up within a couple of days, then it is probably yeast and he'll need to see a doctor for a prescription.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• A&D ointment, and try to keep his diaper off as much as possible. Maybe lay out a waterproof sheet. Hope it gets better soon.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• vaseline will work good also destitin original cream. You should let him air out without his diaper
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• OH AND NO VASELINE!!!! It keeps things exactly as they are. It has no healing powers and will just keep the diaper rash raw...
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• He may have an allergy to the diaper or the cream. Try using Bag Balm - you can find it over the counter at most drug stores. It will keep any moisture away from his bottom. Make sure he has a dry diaper too. There are other conditions that your doctor may need to look at. Take him to the pediatrician immediately.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Vaseline is a thought that often comes to mind, but it will keep wounds "fresh", has no healing aid... and will keep it moist. Not good.
    Anonymous

• try to get some a&d ointment. make sure he gets enough air down there. consider changing his diaper brand i had to switch from luvs to huggies because this was happening to my DD. she never ever stayed in a wet diaper so when i swapped them it went away. turns out she was irritated by the dye it had in the diaper.

eva123

Answer by eva123 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Go to the PEDIATRICIAN and get a prescription. It may be an allergic reaction to the diaper rash cream.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I only use Aquaphor, which is like vaseline. All the other ointments and creams always made my daughter's rash worse. The Aquaphor heals it up in a day or two and makes a good barrier to prevent new rashes. It's also very soothing. My daughter would cry and cry while I changed her because it hurt. As soon as the Aquphor hit her skin, she stopped crying. It was as if she was saying "ahhh, that feels better". It's worth a try. I agree with trying a change in diaper brand idea too . Both of my kids had issues with Luvs.
    Anonymous

• I always used corn starch and it worked very well and gave my son fast relief , the creams never worked as good or fast.
    Anonymous