10 year old screams out"I HATE MY LIFE!!"

He wants to watch a basketball game on tv.
It is 8 pm.
It is time to start winding down for the evening..shower,pajamas,and read until 9 pm.
He has to do daily reading for school at home.
He has been slacking on this lately a great deal.
His reading grade on his report card is currently D+
So I tell him, sorry but youre not watching the CAVS game, youre going to start getting ready for bed and do your reading.
He has been screaming at me for the past 10 minutes.Up the stairs.Back down the stairs."WHY WHY WHY, I HATE MY LIFE.ITS NOT FAIR."
I'm trying to stay calm because at this point, he is really getting on my last nerve.
Moms, how do you do it?
I don't feel like yelling at him tonight. I don't feel like the battle, yet I'm not giving in.Why can't he just do what he is told and stop screaming.He's STILL UP there screaming.Advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• While you're at it.... this will make you smile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P6UU6m3cqk

turn it up really loud!!!

Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 8:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• DONT MOVE AND DONT ENGAGE HIM AT ALL.. hang on mama. tomorrow when he is cooled off, then sit down and talk to him about his behavior. let him know that outbursts like that wont be tolerated in the future and come up with consequences, then stick to them. (hugs) hang on mama, he will be sleeping soon.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Ignore it. He will learn soon enough that his 10 year old tantrums won't work any more than his toddler ones did. That is a tough age and he will not appreciate being told what to do and when to do it, but you cannot give in to his tantrums. Try starting school chores as soon as he gets home. Fix him a snack and let him know that he must finish all homework before he does anything else - no questions asked. That way he will have the rest of his day free to watch the game, hang out or whatever. It will take the stress off him and off you. He doesn't really hate his life, he hates being told what to do - kids that age think they are grown and should be able to do what they want when they want, so maybe give him a tad more freedom, i.e. an extra 30 minutes to stay up when he completes his homework in the afternoon, etc. It worked wonders with my daughter!
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Thanks Bearsjen. I needed some calm down words.
    Anonymous

• Reminds me of when my little bro used to get all dramatic on my mom. If she so much as grabbed his arm he would dramatically throw himself on the ground as though she pushed him. LOL! I know, sorry, it's not a laughing matter. Like the PPs said, hang in there! We're all rooting for you!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 8:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Good Idea neebug.
    I do have him do his homework soon as he gets home but as for the reading, since he was 6 years old, I have had him do silent reading on his own (and sometimes with me) in his bed right before its time to go to sleep. Maybe its time for a change. I will talk with him tomorrow and maybe together we can come up with a new agreement. Thats a new way of looking at things. I don't want our relationship to end up being that of one that is just constant battleing and him screaming and me feeling like I'm ready to knock him out,lol. Have to tell myself, he's a little older now, maybe negotians in this kind of stuff is worth looking into. Phew...feeeling better already ladies!!! Thank you so much!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah...adelicious...the DRAMA..OMG. As mater of fact, I did grab his arm, to turn him around the first time he screamed at me a little bit ago. He fell onto the floor and began screaming thath I hurt him. I told him to get up and he continues screaming, "I can't I can't you hurt me!"
    Gotta love it.Just gotta love it. Okay...counting to 150,000! breath in, breath out, LOL.
    Anonymous

• Here, maybe this will make you feel better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YersIyzsOpc&feature=fvw

Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 8:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• omg adelicious...that is hilarious!!!! actually...if he were a little younger,i'd think that was my son! haha
    Anonymous

• aww,the baby one is too cute...i remember my son that way....kinda hard to, but i do! lol
    Anonymous