How Have You Handled Feeling Horrible About Yourself?

I couldn't find a good category for this one....I am not doing good lately...my self esteem is so low, I feel like such a loser. Have you ever felt like when you leave a room, people are glad? Like people are being nice to you even though they can't stand you? I feel like that. And not only that, but my marriage is under stress. My in-laws have hated me from day one, and lately I am feeling like they were right in thinking my husband only married me because I was pregnant. I gave up on losing baby weight because I feel too defeated and I feel like I'm so gross and worthless. I even started smoking again and I drink by myself when my kids are asleep. I don't know what to do...has anybody else been there or is there now and how do/did you cope?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• I am currently reading this book.  Idiot's Guide- The Law of Attraction.    It really helps you get rid of those feelings and focus on the positive stuff in your life.   Your feelings are normal, but what I am saying is that they do not have to be there.  You deserve to be happy. 

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Counseling also helps. Please do see someone. What you are describing is depression.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I once suffered from very low self worth. In my case, it went back to my earliest childhood and some things that happened to me then over which I had no control. It took me many years to find the right kind of help, but I finally did. I found that I had a lot of deeply suppressed anger that I had never allowed myself to express. Anger turned inward leads to depression and the feelings of not belonging and even of not being lovable. I found my help through the Lord Jesus Christ and His church after I had seen numerous psychiatrists, psychologists, and therapists, all of whom told me the exact same things, none of which had helped me at all. What I learned is that our spirits can be wounded, just as can our emotions and our minds. What I needed was healing, and that is what I finally found. So I suspect that with you, just as with myself, there is a deeply rooted cause for the way you are feeling. I pray you find help.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I feel the same way, and I'm not sure what to do either. Sometimes I just feel like giving up on everything. I can't afford counseling, so I looking for a good book to read and TRYING to surround myself with people that love me....
    Anonymous

• My whole childhood was filled with famliy telling me I was worthless and calling me satan and al kinds of mental abuse, but thats what you get from alcoholics. How I made it through, I'll never know but certainly by the grace of God. Although, I have put it behind me it does creep up now and then. I just have a good cry and go into prayer.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 11:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I think that we all have been there before.one thing you must always remeber if you cant love yourself how are you going to love someone else..you have to hold your head up high and look at all the positive things in your life...ive been at the point where just looking in the mirror to me was depressing.so i know how you feel.The way you treat yourself is how others are going to treat you. one thing i have learned to be very helpful is once a week or so treat myself to something whether it a new pair of jeans or a bottle of nail polish. find things that make you feel confident ..i like the way my hair looks when i wear it this way,these jeans fit my body real well.dont worry about what you think others are thinking about you ..first i need for you to become comfortable with your self and accept you for you.listen to your favorite songs and dance with yourself in the mirror or around the house
    amiyamom08

Answer by amiyamom08 at 12:49 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• another thing that help build your confident while working out is pole dancing classes ..people dont realize how effective this is ..you find out how sexy you can be and way more confident .while working off the baby weight. make your self over ..wear things that compliment you ..maybe get a new hairstlye or change your color.you only live once so try to enjoy your life.people are always gonna have something to say or think ..they dont matter ..what really matter is how you feel about yourself.love yourself embrace yourself ..and remeber that we are all unique and we were made to be different . what works for you may not work for me ..find your style and look and work it out girl
    amiyamom08

Answer by amiyamom08 at 12:57 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I suggest you write more often, how you're feeling, what you're going through. Sometimes through writing you see patterns and are able to see the things you are in control of and what you can't control. You do have power over your feelings even if it feels as if you don't. I feel the way you do, it's been a very long road. It's a terrible cycle. You'll get a little better and then something will happen to knock you right back down. Therapy was very useful to me, I wish you much luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Apr. 28, 2010