Would you be mad if your best friend did this?

So I don't know how to feel about this. I just found out that the BIG photo contest that my best friend entered her daughter in requires the finalists to be out of state from august 10-13. My wedding is on august 13th. My best friend is my maid of honor, her dd is a flower girl, and her dd's father is going to take the photos. She knew signing up to be in the contest that she'd have to be available during those days. I found out on accident ( through the website the contest was on) about the dates. I wasn't going to say anything, but my df did because he was mad. Now she wants me to choose whether she'll send her dd and dd's dad if they make it to finalists( they are semi-finalists right now). It kind erks me that she'd even think of entering her dd and asking everyone to vote knowing when the dates are. Would you be mad, or should I just be happy for her if her dd wins??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• Be happy for her. Being angry isn't going to change the situation. She has POOR timing, but it's really not worth your spleen.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I think you might be a little bit selfish. What if her child is super cute and could be a child model?? Just find another maid of honor and move on in my opinion... Your friend is kinda crappy too
    Anonymous

• I know being angry isn't going to help, but I do know that if I had done this, she'd be livid with me. She wasn't exactly very forth coming with the information about the contest either when she was begging me and all our friends for votes.
    Anonymous

• I would be hurt, but wouldn't let it ruin our friendship -wait to find out what will happen for sure. I guess it does say something about her though, that she would miss your wedding for a photo contest....
    Anonymous

• That was very rude of her. However, there's no going back now; I suppose you'd have to find other spots, if you can. I'm sorry that she did this to you, though.
    NorincoWoman

Answer by NorincoWoman at 9:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• "I know being angry isn't going to help, but I do know that if I had done this, she'd be livid with me. "

FEELINGS are never right or wrong...they just are. It's whether it's worth the energy. She's not.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• BTW...I'd relieve her of Maid Of Honor duties and promote a bridesmaid.

• I think it's perfectly normal for you to feel hurt by this, but keep your feelings in check. In the end, your wedding day is the most important day of your life, not hers. She still has to live her life. She is doing this for her child, not because she wants to spite you. So you have every right to feel hurt, but carrying on in anger isn't going to get you anywhere. Just smile and be happy for her and arrange for an alternate Maid of Honor in case she can't be there. At least it's still a few months out and you didn't just find out about this a week before your wedding!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• BTW...I'd relieve her of Maid Of Honor duties and promote a bridesmaid

I agree this is an important and stressful day in your life, you've got to do what best for you. A maid of honor is usually someone you consider a very important part of your life, and she isn't being very considerate. Can you talk to her about how you feel???
    I think I'd be devestated actually that someone I considered such a great friend, would find a photo contest more important than my wedding day.
    Anonymous

• Meh, I decided to tell her that she needs to decide what to do if her dd wins, without my input. I don't want to guilt someone into staying if they don't want to. I just hate being put into situations like these:(
    Anonymous