Doubt is not the opposite of Faith, fear is. Thoughts?

Our Priest says this frequently and it always resonates with me. He says "There is nothing wrong with asking the questions, as long as you see them through. It's not enough to just say 'oh well that doesn't jive for me I guess I should stop going to Church,' you have to see that question through to the end."

Doubt and questions are an important part of a healthy Faith relationship with God. If sought through to the end, they often strengthen Faith.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I like that.
    Anonymous

• I believe that. I've been told that God want's you to question and to learn for yourself. If you have true faith, then you have nothing to fear...I have alot of fear, and every day I try to get myself away from it.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 9:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I've heard so many people claim that our Faith is fear driven and that's so far from the truth. I think I agree with your Priest and I like the way you put it here!
    Anonymous

• I like the quote, but my interpretation of it is very different from what you described.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Faith is the definition of fear. Fear of women who want an abortion. Fear of gay citizens. Fear of the wrong music, movies, or television. Fear of science and evolution. Fear of a god who will capriciously send them to hell if they do one teensy little thing wrong. Fear of sin. Fear of non-believers. Faith in god EQUALS fear. Doubt can equal knowlege, but never fear.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I would have to disagree from my own personal experience. I delved into doubt, let go of the fear, and then found a peace and faith on my own.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:28 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Fear is the reason for faith. People are so afraid that this is all we have, that they will do anything to believe there's more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

•  I agree 100% with witchqueen.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Shane...

oh wow I just posted a devotional about asking God questions her

Is that even related to this. Umm no I would know it was my question you are referring to.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:17 AM on Apr. 28, 2010