Breastfeeding mothers, how do you control leaking at night?

DonnaMite3

Asked by DonnaMite3 at 9:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I invested in lilypads. They are reusable pads that sort of adhere and apply pressure to the nipple which acts as a stop button. I never leaked at night or during the day and in the long run $25 for 1 set that last the entire time was cheaper than the disposable ones. They also were virtually unnoticable under clothes unlike the 'pad' style ones
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I never really controlled it... I simply wore pads to soak it up
    Anonymous

• breast pads, and nurse as frequently as baby is hungry. I co-slept so that it wouldn't be an issue. Some mornings i still woke up wet, but I always put a drip pad under us so that I wouldn't have to change the sheets every day. Also, it will regulate over time.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I pump any excess milk.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• well, I pump everything off at night ( I like to have a good supply of frozen breastmilk), and I wear pads... I had a friend who leaked alot, and she would use panty liners in her bra at night... I haven't.. but she said it worked.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 9:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I wore cloth breast pads on the few times it was a severe problem. My little guy ate constantly though so it wasn't really a big deal for me. My cousin wasn't nursing as often as I and she found success in wearing a sports bra with a soft dish towel in it against the breast.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Ahhh, nothing I ever did worked=[ Thankfully, I only suffered for a few weeks. I had an over supply to the fullest and no matter how much I leaked or DD ate, I would still leak uncontrollably through out the day and at night. I'd double up on pads and sleep on 3 towels and wore black shirts when I went out.
    Once the leaking subsided, I was the happiest dry woman alive!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 9:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• that much leaking doesn't last forever but wearing breast pads helps control the mess. I don't really leak anymore but still wear the pads just in case, and to protect my clothes from the lanolin I put on religiously.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Won't pumping at night make your supply more at night? I leaked a lot at the beginning, but when DS fell into more or less of a routine it became less of a problem. If I wasn't a cheapskate, I would have gotten a night bra and worn pads.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• The leaking will stop. We co-slept and I nursed frequently throughout the night.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 10:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2010