What was the biggest surprise you had when you became a Mom?

Did you learn more about yourself, about your family or, like me when I never realized how much love you can feel for your new baby.

I ask this because my own Mom past away when I was small, so I never got to learn a lot of parenting skills. I was also the youngest child and did not baby sit as a teen, so I had a lot to learn.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• For me the most profound thing was...you love your parents, you love your sibs, you love your spouse, but the click that happens in your soul the moment you lay eyes on your child....nothing can ever prepare you, no words are good enough to explain that kind of all consuming encompassing love. It is overwhelming, and that feeling does not ever leave you. My oldest is now 24...and I am as much in love with him as I was on March 13 1986 when they laid him in my arms. You can try all you like to explain this feeling to someone, but until you experience it....well, there are hardly words.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:38 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I new before i become a momma that family is the most important part of life. But having my very own family was the gift of all. Not matter how many friends or whatever you want to call them at the end of day FAMILY are the once that are always there for one another not matter what. I also realized that when I had my DD that she was the greatest gift from god that I have ever gotten and ever wanted.
    Anonymous

• My biggest moment was my son was about 6 months old he was weaned and bed training and I put him down for bed and he just went to sleep. Then I knew I could do it, I never babysat or dealt with kids much so adjusting to parenting was huge for me! Now I have a toddler and I wish he was just a cute squishy baby again, instead I get a sippy cup to the head. A whole new set of challenges but I know I can do it
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• How much inner strength I have. My boyfriend walked out on me when our daughter was 2 months old, and I was left to take care of her all on my own. She is almost 2 years old now, and although her dad and I are back together, he doesn't live with us, and I still take care of her alone. She is a lot of work, and I don't get ANY free time away from the house (without her with me). But she is the best thing to ever happen to me. My first thought of the day is her, and my last thought of the day is her. Her needs come first always.
    Anonymous

• LOL! Army wife, I like what you said. I think I was expecting this rush of love when DS was born, but I was surprised by how much I ADMIRED him! I thought he was so amazing. The other thing I'm finding is just recently surprising me, and that is how much more and more I love and admire him as time goes by, even at the same time that I'm feeling frustrated with him. I just look at him nursing or smiling at me, and I find that he's more and more beautiful and amazing to me.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I had two big surprises. One was how instinctual it was for me. Taking care of my son was so natural for me from the second he was born. Yes, there were hard times and stressful moments, but over all, its all been so natural and he's 2 1/2 now. And my second surprise was how crazy my hormones were AFTER the baby. Not a post-partum depression, just crazy mood swings. I was expecting more stuff to happen during the pregnancy, but my husband and I both agree, my couple little "moments" during were nothing compared to the first few weeks after he was born.

chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 10:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• The fact that I was capable of killing.

I figured out quick, fast, and in a hurry that if anyone messed with my baby, that'd be it for them.

I swear I went all tiger momma. It was weird.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• because i come from a huge family, taking care of a baby was very natural for me. i had been changing diapers, making bottles, and all that for as long as i could remember. i "mothered" my nephew from birth - age 3, because my sister was in the military. i even home schooled on line so i could be with him day and night. the biggest shock for me was the way my body changed. everyone knows about weight gain and stretch marks, but no one bothered to tell me that my boobs would end up looking like two fried eggs pinned to my chest, or they would end up a full cup size different from each other.

Anonymous

• that i could love so unconditionally
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 11:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• that I wanted to be one. I used to say I didn't want to be a mom- ever. Then i thought I would consider parenting when i was in my late 30s. Big surprise getting pregnant when I was 23- just gave birth to my second a few weeks ago. i LOVE being a mommy and am so glad I didn't wait 15 more years to try to get preg.
    Anonymous