Why do people say that musicians "sold out"

meaning that they do things for money....if that is the case wouldnt every singer be a "sell out" seeing how they get paid.....otherwise they would all still be in their garage....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No, I think they mean they changed their genre of music to fit in with whats "hot". Lets pretend I had a band and it was a heavy metal band and we were doing real good then all of a sudden people like the soft poetic tears in my beers rock.....I would then make my music softer with softer lyrics. Eventually, my band wouldn't be labeled as "heavy metal" it would then be called "soft rock". The only reason why I switched over is for more people to buy my stuff. To me that's selling out.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I rarely use that expression...because it is WAY overused. For a musician to evolve and change their perspective is MATURE not selling out. I think taking themselves too seriously..and becoming part of the machine is "selling out"...but only when the group would otherwise stand against those things.
    HOT TOPIC, for example (trendy goth/rock/punk store) is a HUGE sell out. They package fashion looks that were meant to be creative expressions of anti-establishment...not corporate reproductions! Buying ripped jeans with safety pins in them is SELLING OUT.
    Growing up and softening your music...is not IMO.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 10:37 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I agree with boomamma.

"Selling Out" isn't about not wanting to make money from your product or anything like that. An example of "selling out" would be using the song "Revolution" which, when it was written, was supposed to be an anti-establishment song, but the rights to the song was sold and it was used to sell tennis shoes.

It's when you say "my music is about self expression, being yourself, and refusing to conform... Here, pay $50 to buy a shirt that I have had mass produced so you can look exactly like me - but YEAH! We won't conform!"

That's selling out. It isn't about money, it's about being a hypocrite.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• thats all true.
    and then theres also bands like metallica, who were fucken MILLIONAIRES already, and when napster came out - they freaked that people were getting there music for free, and sued napster!!! seriously? your already a millionare! some people cant afford 20 $ a CD and your gonna sure them. that is selling out for sure.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:04 AM on Apr. 28, 2010