HOw long do I have to pump???

10 minutes?? 15, 20, 30?? how long is long enough when pumping?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• There is no time limit. You pump until your breasts are empty. Not fully emptying them will decrease your milk supply.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 10:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• During engorgement, I pumped 45 minutes before they finally emptied out. Once my body got regulated it only took about 20. laciD is correct, make sure that you empty them out. Not doing so can also cause blocked ducts and mastisis
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• It depends on how much milk there is and how long it takes you to feed. I could pump 8 oz in 5 minutes.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 10:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• When I first started pumping... I'm going to admit... I had unrealistic expectations. You'll laugh but I thought you could pump like 5 bottles full in 2-3 minutes. So when I first used the pump I thought i junk broken, It was an electric lol. So unrealistic my expectations were.

So with that said.

You'll want to pump at least 10 min. on each side. It wont hurt to pump longer, as long as your nips can take it. Pump every two hours or so, to help.

Good luck : )
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 10:53 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I will tell you the way I generated extra bottles was a cup under one breast while I nursed on the other side. I just let the milk come down and collected it. This was a good way to collect milk with out feeling like I was stealing from my baby. Sometimes pumping is such a head trip.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• OP here, thanks for the answers, I am way past the engorgement stage. I am pumping over 10oz each time I pump but I feel like I could just keep pumping all day and never truly be done, it just keeps coming, thats why I was asking about the time. I usually go between 20 and 30 minutes but that is very time consuming. The cup Idea is a good one. I have milk savers and they are awesome except they fill up very fast and leak so i think if your coordinated enough to hold a cup also then it awesome, I can get up to 2 oz just wiht my milk saver.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Apr. 28, 2010