I was reading that Anti-gun question over in Politics and Current Events, and it got me to noticing that all the gun owners say they lock theirs up, Well we don't.

We got ours hanging on racks. The ones that are low enough that the kiddo could could possibly reach them (standing on a chair or something) aren't loaded. But we have one (above the front door) that is loaded that there is no way he could reach. We also have loaded handguns that he can't reach but we can.

Do people really think its that big a deal? How you supposed to use a gun to protect your home if it isn't loaded?

We often talk to our son about gun safety and let him know that they are not for little boys.

We live in a fairly dangerous neigborhood and its fairly common for families to have loaded guns in their homes.

By the way me and my husband both have our concealed carry licenses and are good law abiding citizes.

So do people really think its that big a deal? I never thought about it cause most everyone I know has guns loaded and up on the wall, not locked up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think it depends on the person, or family. I personally do not like guns in the household, but you said that the ones that can be reached, arent loaded, and the ones that are loaded can not be reached by your son, and thats good, as well as talking to him about safety, but I myself feel like you can never do enough when it comes to guns.

We just recently moved into my uncles and he has a bunch of different types of guns laying around, well not literally, but theres a handgun far behind one couch, and a couple under his bed, and etc. Im uncomfortable with this, just because my son gets into everything, and I feel like i cannont watch him enough.

But it seems like you know what your doing, and I commend you for that. :)
    colbysmommie95

Answer by colbysmommie95 at 11:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I am not a gun owner, and I don't mind if others own one, it's their right. But I never did understand how a gun can be used for protection if it's not loaded and locked up somewhere. My house is so small I would be dead before I could get to it. I understand having to keep it safe from children. But if I can't get to it, it's useless.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• What you described is exactly how I grew up. We were taught at a young age what a gun was and that it wasn't a toy. Given a healthy respect for a gun and what it can do conditioned us to treat them with respect. IMO, when these things happen (children getting killed or killing) it is usually a child that isn't normally around them (a friend over for the night) or a child that didn't know about the gun in the house or a child that thinks it's a toy and wasn't taught about them properly when the parent chooses to keep one in the home.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• girl i'm with you! no point in having a gun if you can't protect yourself with it! my kids are not allowed to have toy guns, because i don't ever want them to be confused. i keep a very good eye on my children, and there is no way they could get to my loaded guns. like you, i have a shotgun hanging above my front door, safety on, loaded and ready to go. i also have a loaded colt 45 revolver, saftey on, in the drawer of my nightstand. my bedroom door stays locked at all times, and i also have an alarm on the drawer, just in case. i would highly recommend the alarm. as soon as that drawer opens, it lets off a siren that you can hear a mile away!

Anonymous

• Where'd you get that alarm? Can you order it online?
    Anonymous

• Personally i think you are playing with fire. Unless you can guarantee absolute obedience from your child you are simply playing the odds. I can only hope the odds stay on yor side.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 11:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• is that one of those alarms that are used for doors and you just put it on the nightstand? what a great idea! my husband's service weapon is unloaded and put away as soon as he walks in the door but where we have just moved to, i am SO uncomfortable not having that thing loaded. i've tried to find a night stand with a key locked drawer but the closest i can come to that is a damn file cabinet.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 11:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• A lot of the things you said I've heard before from parents who's children have gotten their hands on a gun in the house and accidentally shot themselves or another child. I feel heartsick when I hear things like that. It is such a preventable tragedy. All the talking in the world will not take away a child's curiosity about guns and the cool factor a lot of little children think guns have. I think sometimes all the gun safety information makes them MORE curios and apt to wanting to get their hands on one. It's a story that has been told far too many times for my liking and it makes me angry and sad at the same time.

Yes we all realize that if someone needed their gun quickly and it was locked up and unloaded, it wouldn't be much use. But I believe the danger to a child from an irresponsibly stored firearm far outweighs the danger of a potential situation that may never even happen...cont'd
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• The grief of losing my child because I was irresponsible would absolutely kill me. There is no way in hell I would take that chance.

And you may think he can't reach them but I'm betting with some childhood ingenuity and time away from mom and dad's eyes he'd be able to reach or find on of the loaded guns in your house. It happens repeatedly, just google it.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• I was raised like OP..and I was allowed to shoot the .22 when I was 2, so, I learned real early the power of guns. They were where I could reach them and they were loaded....I had the fear put in my real young. I never at any moment felt compelled to touch one at all. Mainly because I was taught better, and I had shot them many times. So, the mystique was removed. That is the problem with a lot of things parents try to keep their kids from almost fanatically...if you let them see, touch, hold, taste and know about, they will have less of a tendency to use, abuse later on. Also, you must refrain from overdoing it in front of them or abusing, acting as though it's cool.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2010