Ladies I am desperate! I'm taking a small break from sex talk with my child!!!

I told him to go get ready for bed and now I am stumped! I don't know if I'm should tell him the details like what happens, etc.! HELP! P.S. DH and I have already decided that this talk is happening, so that isn't the question. I just don't know if I would be too graphic in describing what happens during sex! I don't want him to hear from his friends and be even more confused

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• He is 10, almost 11 and will be in junior high next school year
    Oh yeah he either needs to know from you, or he knows more than you - only you know your child so you know which it is! We got great books - Secret business for girls and Secret Business for Boys - they covered the facts in a funny but not babyish way -like all the different names people might have for their penis, and Myths you might have heard about masturbating. I have always answered my kids when they asked no matter the age, but when I got the book , I gave it to my son ( my first) and I said he could read it with me or alone, if he had questions he could ask - he chose alone - which is really normal at this age- but that book is dog-earred as he referred to it alot. I think kids this age want to know what is going on with their own bodies more than they want to know about actual sex. Is it normal to have wet dreams, grow hair, think sexy thoughts...
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 4:32 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• How was he handling the talks so far? If he is comfortable and still curious, go for it. My son was, so, I told him anything and everything I could think of. He is super informed. He will not be mislead because I continue to discuss and talk always.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• eeek! OMG i'm freaking out with you! before you tell him anything, ask him what he already knows. go from there. good luck! you must post an update tomorrow!

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 11:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• Make it age appropriate. I've been having the sex talk with my girls since they were 4 (they are 8 and 9 now) and I just add more to it as they ask.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• So far so good! He is curious and says he hasn't heard any thing from friends but he kinda looked suspicious when I said that. LOL
    Anonymous

• Well it depends on what questins he is asking you. Also how old he is. If he is 9 he might no know "where it goes", but if he is 12 he may already know more than you think. Ask him what he knows about sex, then you fill in the rest. You don't have to go over everything tonight tho.. My talk was several years long LOL...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2010

• He is 10, almost 11 and will be in junior high next school year. I want to get to him before his tacky little boy friends tell him!
    Anonymous

• Ask him what he knows about sex first, to feel out what he's already heard from friends. there is no need to go into graphic detail, just explain what the basics are. Also that this is something for adults...even tho many children are tempted to try it, there are always consequences.

Anonymous

• OH MY GOD !
    Anonymous

• I think you should definately finish your conversation, you owe it to him. But since it's getting late maybe you can talk to him tomorrow so he's not laying in bed trying to absorb all this. I would cover all the basics, including using condoms (when he's older of course). Had the talk with DD a couple of years ago, I pretty much covered everything except oral......I just couldn't go there! Good luck, you can do it.
    Anonymous