Christians, should we be placed on a higher standard than others?

It seems as if Christians are scrutinized more on cafemom. At first I thought this was wrong but after reading another response I started to think it might be right.

I mean we are to follow Christ and set his example, maybe the reason words like that is not very Christian of you , or is that what you God would do it used so often is because Christians SHOULD be held to a higher standard?

I mean an atheist calls religion a mental illness it seems fine, or that religion shouldn't be allowed nobody cares or judges but when Christians say they will pray for others it is arrogant.

Maybe this is correct, maybe we should be held to that higher standard.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is only one person we should look to who sets the standard, and it's his opinion of us that should be the only one that counts. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• NO WE AS CHRISTIANS SHOULD NOT BE HELD AS A HIGHER STANDARD. WE ARE SINNERS JUST LIKE THE UNBELIEVERS. SIN IS SIN. WE SHOULD SHINE GOD'S LIGHT. THE UNBELIEVERS HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO JUDGE YOU BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE FAITH OR THE TRUTH IN HIS WORD. THEY CAN SAY ALL THEY WANT. BUT AS BELIEVERS JUDGING ANOTHER BELIEVER IS WRONG BECAUSE WE KNOW ABOUT THE WORD OF GOD AND IT TELLS US TO PUT ON LOVE. CHRIST ASKS US TO BE CHRIST LIKE TO LOVE ONE ANOTHER. TO LOVE OUR BROTHER.
    Mrs.JLucero

Answer by Mrs.JLucero at 1:02 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Exactly, pp. We need to hold ourselves to God's standard(s). The whole WWJD? thing... what would HE say. How would he respond or react. What would he want us to do, and would he be proud or ashamed of our response? I try to keep all that in mind so I can set an truly Christian example. Without the respect of even atheists, no one will listen. I think I have earned that on cafemom, and even in the "real world". Sure I speak my mind and tell what I believe, but I do it so that I will offend as few as i possibly can, and never insult or degrade another. Turn the other cheek, ya know?
    If you know it will upset someone to say "I'm praying for you"... DON'T SAY IT!!!! (you can pray, just don't announce it!) Just like things others say shouldn't be said only b/c it will start drama shouldn't be said. But they are. But they aren't Christians and only have to answer to themselves.
    Do unto others... (they seem to hold it against(c0nt)
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 1:05 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• us by trying to call us hypocrites, yet they do it... hmm! :])

So anyway... just be CHRIST LIKE! LOVE them even though they don't love us (1 corinthians defines love, use it! it isn't just for marriage or family and friends). Let your light shine in the darkness, ya know? :)
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 1:06 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Exactly, pp. We need to hold ourselves to God's standard(s).

I understand this, and I agree with this. That is what I am saying. We want to strive to be like Christ, therefore, maybe we should be scrutinized more and our actions called out?

Maybe I am wrong
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• --We are allowed to call out our brother's sin if he is unrepentant... we are called to do so! It isn't judging, it is helping a brother. We go to him personally, then to the church.
    We are held to a higher standard as CHRISTIANS. I see what you are saying, MrsJ, but we are held to a higher standard in such that we shouldn't act as many of the non-Christians do.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• It's not about anyone holding you to a higher standard. When you take it upon yourself to preach at others and tell them how to live, you are inviting investigation into whether or not you are worthy of telling others how to live. Christians are the only ones who think they have the right to tell people they MUST repent or convert. If you want to go around judging everyone else, you are begging to be judged. If Christians showed how they wanted people to live instead of nagging about how they wanted people to live, nobody would judge them in the first place.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:10 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Thank you , Christians, for your answers
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I don't think I personally try to "preach at" others or tell them how to live. I say how I THINK things should be done and I say what I think is wrong and sinful, but I don't judge or press others to live as I do. In fact, I totally acknowledge our differences and accept them and understand that we don't agree, but that we can have a respectful discussion. Anyone who is at least mature should be respectful, and it is especially sad when a "christian" doesn't act that way when we (they) preach all of that. And THAT is what cause many to think that christians are... no real good. Hypocrites. Unloving. Etc.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 1:26 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I agree 100% with NP.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:18 AM on Apr. 28, 2010