Why do some people?

feel the need to pump themselves up? Examples -

"I am VERY educated...."
"I own my own home, which is very large..."
"I do XYZ for a living, and earn 675,000 yearly"

I get that, in SOME cases, that might be fact, but usually when people start talking that way, it isn't even relevent to the conversation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think I could name the subject of this post. :)

She once announced, in these exact words: "I'm super-educated, dork."
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Who have you been talking too? Most people I know HATE to talk about money as do I. It is rude and obnoxious!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• VERY OBNOXIOUS
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 1:13 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Oh, it's just here on CafeMom. I don't know anyone like that in real life, but I could actually name 2 here on this site.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Idk why. My dh always likes to tell people he bought everything cash and how much everything cost. Its true, but damn no one has to know! His family is like that, so he got it from them. Like an uncle will come over and say "oh, I like your fridge, BUT mine has this and that" blah! I hate that!!! I say "who the fuck cares?! Get over yourself!" Lmao
    crysjuls

Answer by crysjuls at 1:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• hahaha, because if ppl say the opposite, theyre gonna get bashed for having kids...

im a higschool drop out...
    me and my daughter live in my parents basement suite
    and i work as a cashier at a drugstore making shit for money!!!

ohhh and im a single mom!!!! :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:16 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I've seen such posts....except for not making QUITE that much money, all those apply to me! ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• ego boosters, I think
    manifer_momma

Answer by manifer_momma at 1:22 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• To say stuff like that with the purpose of putting other people down is just wrong, stupid, and insecure. To say something of your background to show where you're coming from with something, or to stop someone from attacking them for what they think could be taken as an unpopular view.

For example - If I were to say, well, I make 10 grand a month (not true, btw lol), so who are you to tell me you disagree with my parenting choice, I have money, so I must be infallible. -- WRONG

But, when I say, "I'm a Vet and military wife, and have been for a long time, and based on that, I think _____ (something about military, things that have to do with national defense, etc) - I don't think that's wrong, it's saying where I'm coming from, why I might have the opinion I do. (And sometimes to defend myself against the attacks of "I don't agree with you, you aren't a patriot..." crap). I don't think that's meant in a bad way.

kwim?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:27 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• people are insercure and misery loves company.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 1:35 AM on Apr. 28, 2010