8 week old wont go to sleep unless.....

My DS will not stay asleep unless he is on my breast! Ive tried sneaking in the pacifier but he just screams until I put him back on my breast! He is eating enough I know (If I pump I usually get 8-10 oz in 15 minutes) I cant do anything besides nurse him? Any advice on what I can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• For the moment, he's a perfectly normal two month old. He WILL learn to sleep without it...but it's far too early to expect it yet.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:19 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Rock him to sleep? it's going to be a long year for you. Babies want to be held, welcome to motherhood !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• He isnt satisfied unless he is nursing all the time. I know babies want to be held and that is fine but I cant get a break if Im the only one who can put a boob in his mouth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Well considering your baby has spent roughly 40 weeks in utero in a tight and comfy space, one would expect this for a while.
    Anonymous

• Heh heh. Didn't anyone warn you? Breaks? Not in the Mommy Contract.

Seriously...This will pass this will pass. You cannot make it pass any faster, I'm afraid. TIME is the only cure. Buy yourself down time by dumping things that aren't needed to live. Housework, laundry, that sort of thing. It'll wait.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:31 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• ENJOY!!!!!Wait till you have to do this while a toddler is jumping on you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• My baby was the same exact way around that age. She's 5 months now & I still nurse her to sleep, but I can now just nurse her to sleep & put her in her bed. It'll pass, don't worry. You'll be sad it's gone so quick!!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 1:41 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• This is pretty normal. You really can't start sleep training until around month 4 and then I highly recomend the book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. It is geared towards breastfeeding and attachment parenting styles. It takes time to teach your child to sleep on their own so just have some patience. Start a bed time routine now something simple like bath, then a song or short story even a made up one in a quiet room then lights dim and nurse then lights off to sleep. That's what I had to do with my son and after a while it worked really well. It just took time.
    punkrockermama

Answer by punkrockermama at 1:50 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Babies are supposed to fall asleep at the breast. I'm not sure what you think the problem is. You don't need to pump. Pacifiers aren't recommended for breastfeeding moms, they can ruin breastfeeding. You may want to get a sling or wrap type carrier so you can do other things.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:16 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• smart baby, doing what he is supposed to do!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Apr. 28, 2010