Begging For Money

If a stranger walks up to you in the street and asks you for money, do you usually give it to them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• 9 times out of 10 I don't have any cash on me. If I have some spare change then I'll give it.
    One time an old guy asked me for change to buy a coffee. I didn't have any change but there was a coffee shop across the street so I told him to come with me and I'd buy him one. When we got there he asked if he could have a hot chocolate instead.
    I bought him a muffin too.

It was nice that he didn't turn down the offer. Not so nice that he needed the offer to begin with though.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:44 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• nope, cuz i dont carry cash on me
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:40 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• no, it never happens when i'm alone and dh always tells them no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Yes, i do. I usually don't carry cash and not many homeless in my commute but when I can help I do.
    Anonymous

• you think youre helping them????????!!!!!!!! helping buy them drugs or alcohol yaaa.
    there's a man that sits outside my work building, and he probably makes more money than i do in a day. people are always giving him money. he always has a hot coffee or hot choclate in his hands, people bring him pizza and burgers or donuts on a regular basis. THAT i can understand, but to give money? NO, i wont support their habits.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:45 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Hell NO! My DH works hard for the money we have, Im not going to give it away to someone. There are shelters and soup kitchens that feed the homeless. And there are food banks. Thats what they are there for.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 1:49 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I cant tell you how many times this has happened to me with my kids in tow. Some looser approaches my kids and I and asks me for money. I truly believe they think Im going to try to set an example for my children and give money. Nothing is further from my mind at that point. A mommy with her kids alone without a husband present, and this jack ass has the nerve to approach me! I am a single parent at that,,and that is what I say in response,,,Im a single parent. Yes,,,many times my children have asked me why I didnt give that poor man money, that is all part of the sceme with these guys. I dont want a stanger to approach me period when Im alone with my kids, I could just see me opening my purse and he yanks my purse off of me,,,then what do we do?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• No, growing up in Chicago, we were just taught not to make eye contact.

If someone is a street performer, however, that is a little different... If they do something to earn the money, I will give some to them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• you never know why any one is asking you for money, i usally give some change or a dollar not much i don't care what they spend it on your not "supporting someones habits' by giving them the change in you at the bottom of purse and i don't give to the same person twice.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 1:54 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• ANON 1:51 When I dont have someone with me or its just me and the kids and I see one start walking up to me I point to my Life Time Member of the NRA sticker on my window and they usually back off. And I always have my gun on me. Im not about to subject my kids to anything, I dont take chances like that. OH AND FYI MY GUN IS IN A HOLSTER SO MY KIDS CAN NOT GET TO IT, I PROMISE!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Apr. 28, 2010