I don't understand why this keeps happening...

I started going into labor several times in one week at 27 weeks. I was on bed rest for a week, and I hadn't had any troubles even on the days I had to be up and about (hopsital appt). So i asked my doc to let me go off bedrest and he said we'd try. It was going great until monday night (now i'm at almost 31 weeks) I started contracting again. I went to bed hoping they'd be gone when I woke up but they weren't. I have brethine in pill form and took it yesterday for contractions, and now at 3 am I'm having them again. Why did it just stop for so long and then come back again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• But I even saw an early labor specialist and after my ultrasound of my cervix he said he sees no reason I should be on bedrest. I have three other kids to take care of. If my doctor isn't going to have me on bedrest, I'm not just going to put myself on it. Heck if i did that my husband would think I was just wanting to be lazy, he's not exactly the most sensitive man in the world. But anyway, my doctor will probably be putting me back on it after tomorrow.
    Anonymous

• So i asked my doc to let me go off bedrest -
    Sweetie right here is your answer, if I said to you, " if you stay in bed for 8 weeks you will have a healthy baby", would you stay? If I said "if you put up with 9 weeks lying down , this pregnancy will end happily, with a beautiful healthy baby" would you stay? Of course. Sometimes the docs don't word it in a way that sinks in, but at 29 wks you asked to come off bed rest - if he's answered back with one of my statements would you have laid back down?? Your body is struggling to keep the baby in, & the only thing that gives the baby some extra time right now is full bedrest, which means NO gravity weight on the cervix. As hard as 9 weeks seems, a lifetime with a disabled child is worse, 9 wks is a long time, but a sick baby who may not survive n early delivery is worse. Lay down, allow yourself to surrender to the next 9 weeks of growing a perfect little person. Be strong XXXX
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:38 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Preterm labor is just like that. What you are describing is common for women with it. Why? I don't think anyone really knows. So, take your meds, follow the doc's advise and drink your water and be calm. :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:33 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Im 35wks now and have been in preterm labor for two weeks. I dont know what causes it but i have contractions that are so bad i cry and theres nothing i can do about it. Ill go a whole day with one or two contractions an hour then outta nowhere ill have them one on top the other and super strong! But im not dilating so they send me home too on bed rest. Sucks, i know it. But almost done, thats what i have to keep telling myself.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 8:07 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I did that for 9 weeks before dd was born. It's stressful I know. Just try to relax and do as little as possible.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 28, 2010