What would you have done?

Out for a run in rural Texas with your dog and a coyote confronts you.. Begins attacking your dog.
What would you do?
~~~~
Perry (R) told the Associated Press on Tuesday that he needed just one shot from the laser-sighted pistol he sometimes carries while jogging to take down a coyote that menaced his puppy during a February run near Austin.

Perry said he carries his .380 Ruger -- loaded with hollow-point bullets -- when jogging on trails because he is afraid of snakes. But when a coyote came out of the brush toward his daughter's Labrador retriever, Perry charged.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 6:55 AM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I would have done the same thing. This is why I am glad they are allowing people to carry in National Parks. When you are hiking in the deep back country it is much better to be armed. We had a mountain lion problem a year or so ago. It killed 2 dogs in their yards along the street behind us. One of them was a lab.

I am from rural Texas and it isn't unusual for people to walk/run without their dog on a leash. I mean you can go miles without seeing a soul. Gosh sometimes you may only have 4 or 5 people in a 20 mile radius. Leashing isn't as much of an issue as it is in town.

Coyotes should fear humans, when they don't they are a threat and should be treated as such.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:52 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• He said he was jogging without his security detail shortly after sunrise when the coyote focused on the dog.

Perry said the laser pointer on his gun helped make a quick, clean kill. "It was not in a lot of pain," he said. "It pretty much went down at that particular juncture."

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:56 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• When we lived in AZ and hiked/mountain biked the desert paths, we would carry a gun. My dad, in TN carries a gun while he is working on his land.. Coyotes are everywhere...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I would have done the same. How was he to know that the coyote wouldn't also attack him? How did he know this coyote wasn't rabid? No harm, no foul.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:25 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I would do the same. It is open season on Coyotes in Michigan and most every other state I do believe.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:56 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I would have done the same as well.Yes they roam around here in TN as well along with cougars and others.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:29 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I would have done the same.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 8:29 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• We do have coyotes here in middle TN and they have been known to kill smaller dogs in our area when given the chance. I have a large dog so the likelihood of a coyote approaching us would be smaller, but my dog could hold his own if he had to. I don't carry weapons with me while walking in the neighborhood, but I do carry a knife if we are hiking in the woods and it is just me and my dog. I would not hesitate to use it if my dog were being hurt.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:59 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• There was a cougar on the property we recently sold roaming around.I looked out my back window of the home we owned there one morning to see the cougar standing on a mound.So you bet I am a gun owner..I have small children to look after.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:01 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• There have been spottings of a female and male bear here as well of course the male is huge.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:05 AM on Apr. 28, 2010