At what age do you use tooth paste with your child when brushing?

My daughter has 8 baby teeth, when do I use tooth pate and which one is good?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 AM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You use training toothpaste until they are old enough to spit.. THey say for infants and toddlers on them (ours had a picture I think of LIttle Bear the character on it) until we switched to Eco -friendly products....once my older daughter was spitting she went on regular toothpaste that has flouride
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 7:04 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• You can buy baby tooth-paste with a finger brush, and stick your finger in there and wala...
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 7:16 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I love Burt's Bee's toddler tooth paste for my little one. It's safe to swallow and is fluoride free. It has more grit than the oral b toddler tooth paste so it seems to clean better.
    Devory

Answer by Devory at 7:27 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• yup until they can and will spit use floride free toothpaste and then once they can handle spitting use regular or kid toothpaste

ibebreezy

Answer by ibebreezy at 8:06 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• We just had a checkup and the dentist said we needed to wait a little longer before we do the floride paste for my youngest who is almost 3. Good spitting skills is what they need.
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 8:57 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I've had 2 different pediatricians recommend a pea-sized amount of REGULAR (incl. fluoride) toothpaste once a day starting at 18 months... that's even before they can be counted on to spit it out.
    Anonymous

• Our dentist and Pedi recommended regular size toothpaste. For 3 reason. 1~ no floride in our water and to expensive to buy the kid water with it in all ready more gets wasted from spills or whatnot then he actually drinks
    2~ He don't like the flavor of the drops we've tried 4 flavors (our pharm tech is awesome) so another waste of money
    3~ When we go outside we taught him how to spit! So now we taught him to spit in the garbage can, bath tub, toilet and sink! Not every single time he brushes his teeth but its a start! The amount of the size of the top of a pencil lead will work so its ok if they swallow.
    JuneWestling

Answer by JuneWestling at 2:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I bought some fruit flavored infant and toddler paste (it's more like a clear gel) made by Colgate. I got it at Target and my daughter loves it. It's the flouride free kind. The flouride in regular toothpaste isn't dangerous, but I've read it can stain baby and toddler teeth. But then, you know how online information is - you never fully know if you should trust it.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 5:32 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Use the children's toothpaste.
    There's fruit flavored toothpaste that has no floride, so it's okay to swallow. Look in your toothpaste isle.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2010