19-month-old son twisted ankle.....

As soon as he did it he had trouble walking and was in pain when putting pressure on it. Now, two days later, he's limping but not in any pain. THe ankle doesn't seem to be swollen at all.

Should I just give it a couple days and see how he's doing and then call the doctor if he's still limping?

What do you all think??

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son did the same thing and his leg was actually broken in 2 places. He was a little younger than yours and had just started walking. He stepped on a toy and twisted what I thought was his ankle. Turns out he had a spiral fracture in both bones in his lower leg. I took him to the Dr the first day and they didn't see anything. 2 days later he was still limping or crawling instead of walking so I took him back and the breaks showed up on an x-ray. There was no swelling or discoloration. He didn't seem to be in any pain either. He cried when it happened but nothing after that.  And he looked super cute in that tiny cast.  He was fine.  Boys seem to start early when it comes to injuring themselves.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 8:27 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I had the same thing happen (20month) and it was a twisted ankle. Is it bruised at all? swollen? is he regressing by crawling? Our guy did fine and no need to talk to the dr. but the response from sunshine makes me want to be more cautious. If he's not crawling, then maybe it's fine??

I recently just heard from my dr. that hairline breaks can hide the day of the break on an xray and then show up a week later.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2010