My three year old has started fighting bedtime. What can I do to stop this?

Everynight it seems like my son and I get into a fight about bedtime. He used to be so good,but now finds every excuse in the book to stay up. It leaves me so frustrated and mad. How have some of you handled a situation like this?

scotner1541

Asked by scotner1541 at 8:45 AM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i've had to handle it with both kids. Consistency! Give them the same routine prior to bed (bath, read a book, chat about the day... something that when it occurs he KNOWS next is bedtime) Then put him to bed, and tell him good night. If he gets up, put him right back in bed. It will take a while, with DS it would take hours the first few nights. But just stay consistent and keep putting him back in bed immediately.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:02 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I tend to agree with ZaTa, Make sure the bedtime routine is consistent. You might want to review it now if there are things he constantly wants at night. You can incorporate them in allowing extra time before bedtime to aim for bed at the same time. If he's still napping, you might want to look at when/how long. When my son started fighting, I realized he wasn't tired. Adjusting/eliminating naps solved the problem. Otherwise, go through the routine, put him in bed and leave. Any getting up should result in him immediately being put back to bed with as little fuss as possible.. Since fears can start at this age, make sure there isn't something bothering him about his room/routine that's causing the problem..
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:25 AM on Apr. 28, 2010