Starting solids at 4 months

I know there is a LOT of conflicting information out there, but how many EBF mom's started solids at 4 months? My son is developmentally ready (no tongue thrust reflex, opens mouth and moves head towards spoon, sits up, and tries to get our food off our plates) but I know a lot of research says they are not physically ready at this age. My pedi says there is new data saying starting at 4 months will not cause problems....any advice, info? Thanks! :)

Tina1007

Asked by Tina1007 at 9:21 AM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if you think he's ready, go on ahead. my baby is 5 months and she's getting ready to eat solids
    AirForceWife14

Answer by AirForceWife14 at 9:27 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I dont know about any research or even about opinion on here....but I think I would try my best to hold off for even a few weeks if thats all you can do. Maybe just start really slowly. Get some rice cereal and let him enjoy that for a month or so before starting all the fruits and veggies. I would think his little system might have a hard time handling it, and instead of a happy baby that wants to eat, it could make him cranky and not wanting the food. ~ Its so exciting so fed them their first foods, but waiting one more month might be a wise thing to do.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 9:31 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• If you want to wait & he's satisfied still with just nursing, I think that's a good idea. My 5 month old is also developmentally ready, but I would rather just wait 'til 6 months, so her digestive system has the full amount of time to mature. There's no actual reason for baby to have solids other than for practice.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:35 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Thanks Ladies :) My Pedi actually said the new research shows that starting with veggies and fruits first is better, and use cereal as a side dish...ecspecially in EBF infants because they do not need the extra iron...like I said there is so much conflicting info...just wanted some others opinions on the matter :)
    Tina1007

Answer by Tina1007 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I started all 4 of mine on solids (cereal) at 4 months - it's what they recommended when my oldest, now 12, was born and I've just pretty much followed suit with my other children. I would listen to your pediatrician, but from my experience, it caused no problems - they are healthy, happy, smart and right on target with their weight.

Answer by missanc at 9:38 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• My theory ... waiting never hurt anyone but starting early does so I would and did wait.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I started both of my EBF sons at 6 months. We have a history of food allergies in our family but unfortunantly EBF and starting solids late did not help my older son avoid them. He has several food allegies.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 9:46 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• If you have a history of food allergies in your family, by all means wait. If you do start though, I'm not sure if rice cereal would be best becaust it iis known for causing constipation, then, you would have to add diloted apple juice to their diet to help with that. My baby is almost 6 months and I'm nervous about introducing solids because I keep thinking that I wouldn't do a good job at substituting the formula/breastmilk since they have all they need. That's my dilema.
    ziggylinda

Answer by ziggylinda at 10:53 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Jakob started at 4 months, but did just cereal for like a month. i only introduced a new food once a week after that. He has always been a big boy though with a voracious appetitite. I think it really depends on the kid. I was going to wait, but he was just SO hungry all the time, formula didnt seem to fill him up.
    mamaVanessa511

Answer by mamaVanessa511 at 7:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2010