Mom's with children dealing with Autism

Would you be willing to share a personal experience in which strangers in a public place displayed to you rudeness instead of help or compassion?

Thank you!

Heather_Rayne

Asked by Heather_Rayne at 9:43 AM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I never ever judge any mom out there because I don't know their child-so how can I judge them.
    Shame on the people who do!!!!

There is autism, Add, Adhd and I am well aware of it, there is also naughty behaivor that parents need to deal with. Still it is none of my business. I don't stair.

Only if I know for absolute sure a child is abused then I will step in, if we don't who will.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:47 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I often encounter rudeness when I share my stories on life with autism. But I still share because there is always at least one person who appreciates hearing my take on it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:33 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I have a 2 year old with autism and a 7 year old with Bi-polar disorder. I encounter rudeness and stares all the time. My old will have a break down while we are out and there are times when he can become violent and I have to restrain him to keep him from hurting himself or anyone else. My youngest has typical autistic behaviors and people wonder why he is shaking his head or rocking, or flapping his hands. It calms his system down when change is present so I let him do. People need to become more aware of their surroundings just like our children have to do every time they walk out of the house. Advocate about the situation you are in, Open the doors to your community so they can understand the Autistic world.

prfctangel_85

Answer by prfctangel_85 at 3:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• It seems like rudeness from non-disabled people is a part of my family's life. My son has the occasional meltdown, and will cry and get loud and this does cause others to see him as spoiled or just unruly. If someone says something, I just say to them "I don't need any advice or help, thank you." If they insist, then I return a little of the rude behavior and tell them "What makes you an expert on MY child?" Usually makes them think. I just wish people were more aware of children and families with disabilities. *sigh*
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 11:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Thanks ladies. I finished my story on this last night...

http://cheersrayne.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!656F9A4108C3E513!9704.entry

Heather_Rayne

Answer by Heather_Rayne at 7:56 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• My oldest is on the spectrum and it bothers me greatly that there are rude people out there who feel free to give dirty looks and make snide comments, and act all superior (as if THEY could do better)-- when they don't know the whole story! I have learned to speak up and comment on how some people sure are rude and have NO compassion for a child with Autism! And give them "the look" when I say it at them!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• One thing people do not talk about is the Autistic adult....it is much worse when the autistic child becomes an adult...same with the aspergers adult...
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:21 AM on May. 2, 2010