how would you react?

If your child got bit 4 times in 10 months at a licensed daycare center, how would you react? mad and take him out? or realize this is a stage/phase and let it go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OP: the first time was 10 months ago it was a little boy and the last 3 bites are within just this year and yes, all by the same girl.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I'd find a new daycare.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:41 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Is it just one child doing the biting?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:53 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• If you love everything else about the daycare, I wouldn't take him out. She will grow out of it. I would talk to them, though. Let them keep an extra eye on it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:12 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• It's a stage/phase, but at the same time I would also be a little mad. If it's the SAME child biting him and I'm assuming other children constantly, then that little girl needs to be monitored better!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• It's a stage but ensure your care providers know you are concerned. I had the same thing happen and my kid ended up biting as well. The children are frustrated with not having communication skills so they take their frustration out physically. It happens so fast that if your provider is watching from across the room while they've got 7 other kids, it's hard to intercept.

I would ask them the following: 1) Please try seperation of my child and the other one if you can't be on top of them. Maybe involve the biter in some activities during the times she seems more frustrated?

2) When will the biter move out of the class room?

3) Can you address this issue at circle time? "Class, when we want another toy, it's best to ask please. Class, if we are mad at a friend, we use our words like, "I'm mad!" No hitting, only hugs. No biting, only hugs.

Good luck!!
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 1:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2010